Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Damaged item, missing part, wwyd?

(15 Posts)
TychosNose Thu 26-Nov-15 12:53:16

Bought a coat.
Described as new with tags.

It arrived today and has one popper broken on the front and the removable fur trim around the hood is missing.

I looked back at the sellers pictures and can't actually see the fur trim, but I know it should have had one because I saw the same coat in house of Fraser and the hood has buttons all around where the trim should be attached.

Now, I think I'm not unreasonable to complain about the popper as it's clearly broken, but what about the fur trim? I know it should have had a fur trim but to be fair to the seller, it's not in her description or the pictures.

So what do I do? I like the coat and would like to keep it but do you think I could ask for a discount for the damaged popper and/or the missing trim?

I'm annoyed at myself because the coat was only £7 more in house of Fraser and I would have paid that much more for a perfect coat, but it's sold out now.

19lottie82 Thu 26-Nov-15 14:09:21

Message the seller and see what they say.

If they don't resolve the issue to your satisfaction, open a case.

TychosNose Thu 26-Nov-15 17:29:35

Thanks. I just wondered if it would be reasonable to ask for a partial refund for the missing fur trim.

QueenJuggler Thu 26-Nov-15 17:33:32

If it was sold as new, perfectly reasonable.

Tapirs Thu 26-Nov-15 17:36:00

I don't think it's reasonable to ask for a discount for the trim if there was no trim in the photos.

It's perfectly reasonable to ask for a refund for the broken popper though.

19lottie82 Thu 26-Nov-15 18:22:38

I agree..... If the trim isn't in the photos or description then it's not "missing".

A lot of sellers don't do partial refunds, it's simply keep the item or return for a full refund. But there's no harm in asking.....

TychosNose Thu 26-Nov-15 18:56:51

The trim is missing because when something is described as bnwt, I expect that to mean "complete" am I wrong?

Tapirs Thu 26-Nov-15 19:09:02

If you'd never seen the coat before, would you know the trim was missing? Is there somewhere it was attached to than now looks daft without it - like a set of buttonholes which the trim was attached to?

TychosNose Thu 26-Nov-15 19:11:58

Yes a row of bottoms around the hood. It's clear that something has been removed.

TychosNose Thu 26-Nov-15 19:12:40

Buttons not bottoms!

GothJoose Thu 26-Nov-15 19:13:41

Maybe the seller purchased the coat the trim was already missing.

I don't think you can do anything about the trim. If it's not in photos or listing then it is as described. As you knew what coat it was why didn't you contact seller to check it included the trim?

The popper though is a different story.

Tapirs Thu 26-Nov-15 19:13:52

If I were selling it I'd give you a full refund, have the coat back, fix the popper and list it again if someone was prepared to pay just £7 less than the full retain price. I wouldn't give a partial refund for the trim though I would for the cost of getting the popper fixed - after seeing the damage on a close up photo to see what could be done.

TychosNose Thu 26-Nov-15 19:33:03

I didn't realise the trim wasn't in the photos as there were no photos with the hood up or from the back and the seller is wearing the coat and she has lots of very curly long hair covering the shoulders of the coat. Since the seller has good feedback and sells lots of clothes I didn't see it as suspicious.

Now I'm wondering whether she disguised the lack of trim on purpose.

Thanks for your replies.

Tapirs if I were selling the item I'd have described it as new with defects and explained that the original fur trim was missing.

19lottie82 Thu 26-Nov-15 19:52:22

OP, ok that makes sense. TBH if a new one is £7 more, I'd return it, you'll get a pre paid postage label and a full refund, inc postage costs.

TychosNose Thu 26-Nov-15 20:05:17

Thanks I think I will do that.
Appreciate your replies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now