Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Am I being fair enough?

(10 Posts)
Stevie77 Tue 10-Nov-15 09:40:44

Sold a collection only item. It stated clearly in the listing the item is for collection only due to size and weight and that I'd accept cash on collection only.

Buyer has difficulty collecting except when we're not here. Suggested I'd leave the item in a safe location and they'd pay via PayPal. I've refused, for obvious reasons.

How long would it be reasonable to wait and see if the buyer can arrange collection at a mutually suitable day/time, before relisting?

I'm more than happy to wait a few days, it just annoys me that person bid and won knowing they'd have problems collecting hmm

Lappy214 Tue 10-Nov-15 11:36:36

As someone whose feedback rating has been affected significantly from 2 spiteful and untrue negative feedbacks which e-bay are simply not interested in removing, I'd say make every effort to let them collect, don't risk negative feedback.

Can you really not find a suitable time ?

I've let people collect at almost 10pm in the evening and another at 7am to fit in around our respective unavailable times.

Other than that, issue a deadline but be prepared to flex a little over collection times just to smooth the transaction through to completion.

Absolutely do not use a drop off point and paypal payment combination however !

Stevie77 Tue 10-Nov-15 11:52:51

I'm very willing to be flexible and have offered a number of options but I think the buyer doesn't drive/have a car so is sending someone else to collect. Which is fine, but said person can only come mid morning! So I'm not the one being in flexible.

TychosNose Tue 10-Nov-15 11:56:22

I've had this before. You could ask the buyer to pay by PayPal, that way you know they're serious and you get your money. Then give them a list of times and it's in their hands.

Stevie77 Tue 10-Nov-15 11:59:49

I'm not willing to take a PayPal payment for a collection item as I'd have no proof of delivery! And when a buyer is being difficult I have even less confidence in them not being scammers.

PassiveAgressiveQueen Tue 10-Nov-15 12:03:19

could you take it to work with you, and they collect it from your work place?
I have done this before

summerwinterton Tue 10-Nov-15 13:20:37

no you must never take paypal - cash on collection only.

SistersOfPercy Tue 10-Nov-15 14:50:08

I've had this before. You could ask the buyer to pay by PayPal, that way you know they're serious and you get your money

Sorry tychos but this is terrible, terrible advice.

PayPal will only protect you if you can prove an item has been delivered. It's an age old scam, buyer pays via Paypal, picks up the item then goes and files a 'not received' case. Buyer then gets all his money back AND your item.

There is nothing you can do to protect yourself from this other than never accepting Paypal on a collection item.
Getting your buyer to sign things wont work. Your proof of delivery needs to be from a recognised courier.

It's worrying that people still think Paypal is a good idea for collection, so much so I think I might post a warning as people do tend to sell large items before Christmas.

Stevie77 Tue 10-Nov-15 19:22:56

Thanks everyone, all seems sorted now!

TychosNose Thu 26-Nov-15 13:17:43

Thanks. Did not know this. Seems I've been lucky so far. Will be more careful in future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now