Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Does this sound like a scam or just naïve?

(13 Posts)
BornIn2000 Mon 19-Oct-15 22:38:03

My partner purchased some baby clothes on eBay in a bundle.
The seller emailed his private email address to say that she had already sold the bundle and it's no longer available. She said she has been trying to refund via PayPal but she was unable to do it. So she asked for his bank sort number and the long number.
He emailed the seller back, using eBay mail to say he won't be sending his bank details and then she said he was being rude but then suddenly refunded him.

Was she trying to scam him in some way? Her feedback is 100% positive but her last transactions seems to be last year.

Epilepsyhelp Mon 19-Oct-15 22:41:21

Weird but I wouldn't worry about it, if it was a scam you avoided it. You'll probably never know. Avoid that seller in future!

19lottie82 Tue 20-Oct-15 09:22:19

If they're asking for the long number on the bank card then definitely. I would report to eBay and the police.

Only1scoop Tue 20-Oct-15 09:29:30

You can't send a private email address via EBay.

Tortoise Tue 20-Oct-15 09:34:51

It does sound a bit odd. I've had people private email me, it on user id info under legal information so anyone can see it.

Lunastarfish Tue 20-Oct-15 09:38:21

She wouldn't need the long number on the card to make a bank transfer, just sort code & account number so either she's clueless or scamming.

I agree with lottie, your DH should report it to eBay

AutumnDragon Tue 20-Oct-15 10:02:12

She was probably trying to avoid a defect on her account which she will get if she refunds via ebay/paypal.

19lottie82 Tue 20-Oct-15 11:11:09

You can get a buyers private email address from the eBay or PayPal sales record.

19lottie82 Tue 20-Oct-15 11:11:54

Autumn..... You can refund and cancel without a defect. And even if this was the case she wouldn't need the long number from the bank card!

AutumnDragon Tue 20-Oct-15 11:33:24

Lottie - I agree she wouldn't need the long number, but this could just be she doesn't understand the system.

I meant she probably wanted to do a bank transfer to avoid a Paypal refund. She will get a defect if she states she is cancelling as she doesn't have the goods.

ChilliAndMint Tue 20-Oct-15 11:54:56

It sounds to me like she needed a " pay day" loan.

Learned about people doing this from MN; post something for sale and withdraw it once it has been paid for.

I'd report the seller to ebay, let them sort it out; you don't need the hassle.

BornIn2000 Tue 20-Oct-15 15:29:43

How do I report her? I don't want any one else getting scammed by her. She's selling baby clothes so might be targeting mums.

ChilliAndMint Tue 20-Oct-15 15:38:48

Click on Help and Contact and follow the prompts.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now