Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Antique ring tarnished after three months

(8 Posts)
2boysnamedR Sun 16-Aug-15 22:43:36

I bought a old gold and diamond ring of a reputable seller ( many sales, great feedback). I love it. It did seems to have had some repairs when I bought it as it as one of the claws had a rough edge which didn't seem to fit with it being so old.

After a while one if the diamonds seemed more dark but I put that down to maybe a flaw. It's supposed to be old after all.

Anyway I'm on holiday with the kids and noticed today the setting has turned black. Like the stones are set in solder. It can't be gold or platinum as it's just really tarnished. What's the chances of a refund after three months? Considering it was sold as gold and diamond. I presumed it wild last a lifetime bar a stone getting loose

CointreauVersial Sun 16-Aug-15 22:54:36

I'd definitely take it back. The setting might keep its strength but it shouldn't go black!

CointreauVersial Sun 16-Aug-15 22:55:16

Or at least send a photo and see what the seller says.

2boysnamedR Sun 16-Aug-15 23:29:28

Thanks, I'm a bit upset as I love it. I don't know if they will be able to fix it. I don't think they have conned me as they only sell used jellery so probably wasn't to know. I have taken lots of photos but I can't contact the seller unless I'm on my PC and there's no wifi here. Will have to wait till next weekend.

The setting didn't seem right from the off but I just put it down to its age. I had it looked at by a jellery shop and they confirmed it was diamond.

Such a pain. Thanks for your help

19lottie82 Mon 17-Aug-15 11:06:39

You can't force a refund with eBay after this time, but you can open a PayPal case.

How much was the ring? did it come with any documentation? Did the jeweller who looked at it confirm the metal, as well as the stone?

momb Mon 17-Aug-15 11:15:20

Before about 1900 some rings had silver settings instead of platinum. Could it be that? If so you need to avoid getting it wet as much as possible but wear it all the time to prevent tarnish.

2boysnamedR Mon 17-Aug-15 12:25:00

I guess it could be a silver setting. The shank is definatly gold, it's the silver coloured setting that's tarnished. It's old, pre hallmark but it's stamp ted 18k and another stamp that's very faint.

If it's silver what's the best way to clean it up? When I'm at home I clean my rings with boiling water and soda crystals. I'm going give it a brush with some toothpaste.

It was £140 and .25 ct so not to expensive but still enough to be upset

No documentation with it. I presume ( just my guess from what's sold) that it's old jellery that's worth more than scrap that the seller sells on bulk. A lot of it is not hall marked in the modern format. Some of it is but most of it isn't.

I thought I would be safe as she's got around 40,000 feedback and 100% positive with only a few negatives a year.

I wanted a old ring for some history so I hope it does clean up.

19lottie82 Mon 17-Aug-15 13:07:58

You can get silver cleaning cloths for a couple of pounds, or ask a local jeweller to give it a clean. I got one done a few months ago, I think it was £6

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now