Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Is a Sunday Evening eBay auction finish still the "Holy Grail" ?

(6 Posts)
CointreauVersial Wed 22-Jul-15 22:30:05

Just that, really.... it has always been the perceived wisdom that eBay auctions should end on a Sunday evening, in order to attract the most bids and the best price.... but is that really true?

Obviously don't end an auction at 3am on a Tuesday, but does it have to be a Sunday evening nowadays?

glammanana Thu 23-Jul-15 09:33:47

I have been getting most of my sales Wed/Thurs evening during the past few months and strange may it be all sales have been good and for quality stuff,ie Boden/Hotter Shoes etc I use the timer for fixing my finishing time and usually finish about 9/10pm when mums relaxing after putting little ones to bed.Best time is when football on TV grin

CointreauVersial Thu 23-Jul-15 13:15:56

That's good to know.

I always have good intentions to get stuff listed on a Sunday, but then I run out of time.

I might try some tonight!

butterflygirl15 Fri 24-Jul-15 07:46:08

no - Mon or Tues is better. Sunday was never the holy grail because that was when they did maintenance. Do buy it now with best offer and free p&p then timing doesn't matter one jot.

louloubelle2 Fri 24-Jul-15 20:38:20

I'm not sure the day matters so much now everyone can sit in the lounge and multi-task, watching TV while surfing ebay on their phones or iPads.

I do think the end time is important though, I do make an effort to be around for items I really want to win, but I bet lots of people don't or forget. I've won a few fantastic bargains because sellers have ended the listings at stupid times of the day and night (including a great leather jacket today that ended at 2.57pm, meaning anyone at work (with no eBay access obv ;))would lose out unless they have set up a snipe bid).

For that reason, I would say anything from 7pm-10pm is a good finish time to get people free and available to make the effort to bid last minute.

MrsJuice Sun 26-Jul-15 10:49:51

As a regular buyer of quite specific items, the holy grail is BIN.
I prefer the security of BIN, so long as the prices are consistent with the average sales price for similar items.
I have only made offers a couple of times. Usually I just pay the stated BIN.
I collect certain items, and know the value to me. I'm not an incremental bidder. People increasing bids by 50p here and there are showing their hand. Those people are either shill bidding, or rubbish at bidding. You can tell the difference though!
If it's a shill bidding pattern, I never bid again on principal.
If I NEED to bid, I snipe when I can. Otherwise I put my max, and hope that the incremental bidders don't
push it too far!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now