Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

What postage should I use to avoid being ripped off?

(5 Posts)
MrsKravitzFromAcrossTheStreet Wed 15-Jul-15 10:33:53

I am going to sell a necklace for about £100. I've read a few scare stories where sellers have lost out due to buyers claiming not to have received the item and I am anxious to avoid this. Will I be totally protected from this if I use a particular type of delivery, special delivery, recorded? Thanks

19lottie82 Wed 15-Jul-15 11:19:40

If you want to go with Royal Mail, I think you will need to use special delivery to cover this. double check with the PO that jewellery is definitely covered. It's about £8-9 I think? Regular "recorded" only covers up to £50 and I have a feeling the insurance doesn't cover jewellery, but I could be wrong?

Or check on parcel2go.com for courier options, which may be cheaper. you can amend the insurance level required, accordingly.

MrsKravitzFromAcrossTheStreet Wed 15-Jul-15 14:00:35

Thanks, I will be sure to check the insurance small print! I don't mind if I use Royal Mail or a courier, just whichever provides the best cover that the buyer can't argue with.

butterflygirl15 Wed 15-Jul-15 14:36:50

Special delivery or courier which covers jewellery. And add the tracking info to the eBay item too.

Standard signed for is a waste of time, and wouldn't be insured for that value even if it wasn't jewellery.

19lottie82 Wed 15-Jul-15 18:20:36

The amount of cover has nothing to do with the buyer. If it goes missing then you will have to refund the buyer in full, the amount of cover doesn't come in to it in that sense, it's just to protect yourself.

Ensuring you don't get "scammed" by the buyer is another matter altogether, any service that provides proof of delivery, will cover you for that (that is the buyer saying they didn't receive the item, when they did).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now