Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Bidding on your own item!

(11 Posts)
GeorgianaDevonshire Sun 28-Jun-15 09:38:12

Help!

I asked DH to put somethings on eBay for me as he has an account. He has accidentally listed something of enormous sentimental value to me. Only realised with a few hours to go but, as there are quite a few bidders, can't end the auction now apparently.

If I set up an account in my name to try and win the auction, will eBay realise there are bids from the same IP address? Yes, I know they have millions of account holders but I'm worried about being accused of fraud and ending up in the Daily Mail drama queen alert

This isn't an attempt to drive up the price - it's doing very well unfortunately, I just don't want to sell <wails>

SirChenjin Sun 28-Jun-15 09:39:57

Iirc you can simply withdraw something for sale....pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/questions/endlist-now.html

Liney15 Sun 28-Jun-15 09:41:09

I've ended an auction early when there were bids on the item admittedly quite a while ago now (I suddenly realised I'd misdescribed the item and couldn't sell the trousers as they were shorter than I'd said).

Aridane Sun 28-Jun-15 09:53:48

* you can withdraw the item (as others have said)

* bidding on your own item is in breach of eBay rules - and I think there has been a prosecution for this

* though whether eBay would actually notice is another mater

mmmminx Sun 28-Jun-15 10:00:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

seaoflove Sun 28-Jun-15 10:03:54

Are you sure you can't pull the listing? I thought you could end it at any point.

Shill bidding isn't the way to do it.

mmmminx Sun 28-Jun-15 10:06:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CarmonEileen Sun 28-Jun-15 10:51:49

Hi OP. if you want to send me the item number i will stick a high bid on it and then you can ask me to cancel.
With a few hours to go you won't be able to withdraw it. wink

butterflygirl15 Sun 28-Jun-15 10:58:04

shill bidding is against the rules yes - but I would put in a ridiculously high bid, then when ended agree a cancellation otherwise you will have 10% fees to pay.

GeorgianaDevonshire Sun 28-Jun-15 13:45:11

Thank you for replies - and kind offer from Carmon smile

We used the 'end auction now facility' which meant the highest bid won. We contacted the winner immediately and she has kindly agreed to cancel. So all's well that ends well and I will be more careful in future!

lljkk Sun 28-Jun-15 14:35:04

Glad you sorted it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now