Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

When items are listed mistakenly as Buy It Now...

(10 Posts)
EagleRay Tue 16-Jun-15 21:51:55

This hasn't happened to me, but have come across a couple of items recently where they've been listed as BIN and a price of 99p. They were chilren's clothes in both cases, and I went ahead and bought them.

The first item was sent without question, but I bought the second item today and then got a message asking 'why have you sent money when the auction hasn't ended yet?' So clearly listed as BIN in error. Still waiting to hear back again, but have warned the seller she has another item on a BIN at 99p which hasn't sold yet.

As I've seen this happen a couple of times now, I was wondering if anyone else has had it happen to them when they're selling? Perhaps Buy It Now is being selected automatically when listing something without the seller knowing?

twistletonsmythe Wed 17-Jun-15 11:54:50

no it is just the seller making an error when listing, or not understanding what buy it now means.

EagleRay Wed 17-Jun-15 16:31:45

It was one of several items she had listed - not sure how sympathetic to be!

She's contacting ebay about it - not sure if she'll honour the sale

twistletonsmythe Wed 17-Jun-15 17:36:08

she needs to refund you and send a cancellation request.

Allbymyselfagain Fri 19-Jun-15 15:16:39

Depends how polite she is about her "mistake". Ive had the opposite, seller started a listing at £6 and i won it at £6 she then claimed shed got confused and meant to do a £600 buy it now. She refused to apologise for messing me around and accused me of changing her listing from buy it now to auction and trying to scam her. She got reported and last time I checked her username was removed from eBay.
Ive been on the other side where I put the decimal place in wrong when bidding and have paid more than I wanted to for items. My mistake, email seller but if they don't agree to cancel, pay up.

Sellers can make mistakes but if they do they should be apologetic in the hope you agree to cancel the sale, if not I personally think they should swallow their mistake.

maxybrown Fri 19-Jun-15 22:54:23

This does seem to be happening a lot lately.

I also bought something (children's clothing) on a 99p BIN and the seller also was quite funny with me asking me how the heck I had managed to even buy her item when she had only just listed it.

EagleRay Sat 20-Jun-15 12:04:22

This is why I wondered if something is automatically checking the BIN box when a listing is created. In both the cases I've mentioned above, the seller was doing a lot of listings at once.

I had an issue with the Global Shipping Centre checkbox - it was defaulting to this option each time and I definitely didn't want any of my stuff shipped abroad.

Unfortunately, I was selling a baby bath and didn't notice this option was checked and it was bought by someone in bloody France! So of course it gets smashed to smithereens in a shipping crate and I was held entirely liable and lost all my money :-(

Sill no word from seller of item in my first post - I expect she's hoping I will disappear and she can sell it again.

bostonbaby Thu 25-Jun-15 00:02:26

I listed about 20 pairs of trainers a few weeks back.
I start all auctions at 99p but for some reason they all went down as a BIN. Thankfully I spotted it soon after but it took ages to rectify
I think it's some sort of glitch as I never use BIN and it's a totally different layout on the app when selected so I would have noticed

icclemunchy Thu 25-Jun-15 00:04:58

I've had a couple of listings go to BIN when listing them using the app. No idea why but luckily I noticed as soon as I'd listed them

Lily1995 Sat 27-Jun-15 21:08:28

I listed something as BIN by mistake. Luckily I realised before somebody bought it and managed to change it to auction.
It happened when listing things using the app. The app also changed the postage options on every listing too. I am carful and double check everything now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now