Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Waiting for refund - how long?

(13 Posts)
FriendlyFrog Tue 09-Jun-15 13:45:30

How long should I wait for an agreed refund before messaging the seller again? I bought some curtains as a buy it now. However the seller then (the following day) listed another pair (same design) in a different size on auction. I emailed the seller explaining that I would prefer the bigger pair that she has on auction. She agreed to cancel the original sale and refund me for the original pair (so I could bid for the bigger pair) but that was 24 hours ago and the sale still hasn't been cancelled/refund processed. Any advice?

ragged Tue 09-Jun-15 14:23:47

Weird!
Don't see the harm in asking again. Say how keen you are to pay more to buy the bigger curtains but need to sort out first transaction.

FriendlyFrog Tue 09-Jun-15 17:41:37

She's now messaged back saying she has cancelled the sale... hmm but I've had no notification from ebay that its been cancelled (refund hasn't been processed yet either)

ragged Tue 09-Jun-15 18:43:36

Doesn't make sense, it's really easy to cancel & refund in one step.

Do you want to login to paypal & see if the refund is on there?

twistletonsmythe Tue 09-Jun-15 20:56:45

you can file a not received claim to get your money back.

FriendlyFrog Tue 09-Jun-15 22:06:26

There's no record of it having gone through Paypal.. will give them a bit longer before filing a not received claim sad hoping to keep them on good terms though because I really want the 2nd set

ragged Tue 09-Jun-15 22:20:09

sorry, you never paid? You should have received a cancellation request, then. Maybe phone EBay Customer service.

FriendlyFrog Tue 09-Jun-15 23:30:30

Ragged - It was a buy it now item. So the sale went through Paypal but there's no record of the refund being issued

In an ideal world I'd offer to do a straight swap, but the bigger ones retail at £20 more than the smaller pair - so I don't think its fair to ask the seller to do that...

ragged Wed 10-Jun-15 07:41:19

The worst case scenario is you wait until the item should have been posted & then you file item not received, and buy elsewhere. It's in seller's interest to sort this out for you. Have to ask, though.

twistletonsmythe Wed 10-Jun-15 08:09:50

they should be keeping you on good terms - not the other way round.

FriendlyFrog Thu 11-Jun-15 16:18:29

Update: Half way there at last wine - the sale is now cancelled. However refund still hasn't been issued. Does it go through automatically or does the seller have to manually put it through Paypal? Tia

twistletonsmythe Thu 11-Jun-15 16:48:52

yes the seller does it manually. Did you accept the cancellation request? Normally you are advised to accept it after the money has been refunded.

Have you asked the seller why they haven't refunded?

FriendlyFrog Sun 14-Jun-15 17:56:24

Latest update: Still no refund, spoke to someone via Ebay Livechat earlier on who advised me to open a not received case once the estimated delivery date has passed.

Not sure what the seller's game is ("if I ignore the buyer they'll go away without me giving them any money back"?? confused )

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now