Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Can a blocked bidder still see my item?

(8 Posts)
TheFnozwhowasmirage Thu 05-Feb-15 10:37:29

I am selling a large industrial collectable,it needs restoration but is sufficiently rare to command a high reserve. I've had a lot of interest, sent extra photos,discussed help with loading etc,all good. Yesterday a chap wanted more photos,his email was full of!!!! Which gave me a bad feeling but I sent what he asked for and put my name at the bottom. Next thing he wants to know what the lowest bid go is as it is in very poor condition,my reserve is way to high ect. I replied that I vwouldnt accept less than the reserve as I'd had a lot of interest. This is what he replied. 'Really? You do surprise me,i d be surprised if anyone took a pop at that price.' Now I restrained myself from saying 'well why don't you just pop down the shops and buy another one then? Oh,wait a minute,you can't because they stopped making them 80 years ago'angry
I'm cross because he probably thought he could con me because I'm female and I suspect he is still watching my item. I don't want him to buy it because I'm sure hell cause me all sorts of problems. But, I do want him to be able to see what it goes for as it has reached the reserve he said it wouldn't get and there is still a day to go and 37 watchers. Thank

molesbreath Thu 05-Feb-15 12:43:02

God people like this give me the rage too !

Unfortunately there is no way you can block him from seeing your item. You can however block him from bidding, and I would do this like a shot, and don't enter into any more discussion with him.

I sold some snow tyres last winter. We had changed car so these were no good and I just wanted rid. I put them on ebay for a reasonable price and had loads of watchers. One guy said the same as you and I replied I was not prepared to go less than my starting price as I had lots of interest.

His reply was 'Yes, sure you have ' which gave me the rage.

The guy who eventually bought them was lovely !

Out of interest what is it - or if you don't want to say come back tomorrow when its finished and tell me how much it eventually went for.

Good luck !

TheFnozwhowasmirage Thu 05-Feb-15 13:15:27

That's great molesbreath, I do want him to see how much it goes for as he was confident it wouldn't meet its reserve. I just don't want him to buy it.

I'm sorry you've had to deal with the same thing,it really infuriates me. I've worked in male dominated industries most of my life so come across it a lot. I was so cross last night that when it reached its reserve,I shouted 'ha! In your face you arrogant tosser!' Dh had the cheek to suggest I might be getting a bit over involvedwink.
I'm rubbish at links,but if you look under vintage shell mex petrol/diesel bowser,it should come up. It looks like this. I know know far more about bowsers than I ever thought

Auburnsparkle Thu 05-Feb-15 14:09:59

Yes he can see it, but there is nothing to stop him bidding from another account.

Why did you put a reserve on it - you could have just started at the price you wanted to fetch with free listing.

Don't go letting buyer arrange their own courier either btw.

And ending auctions in the evening is often better than lunchtime.

molesbreath Thu 05-Feb-15 16:29:53

Well I won't be taking ' a pop at it' it's out if my budget and I don't know what I would do with It grin

I don't think there's anything wrong with putting a reserve on it then letting an auction run. If it's desirable and rare sometimes it's best to let the market dictate it's price .

Greengardenpixie Thu 05-Feb-15 19:01:27

I doubt he will shame himself by bidding on it now if its made the reserve. Bloody chancer. Not in the same league as your item but I have had chancers making bids on a leather skirt thats new for less than half the price its on for. Its even ridiculously bargainous as it is. such chancers get my hackles up angry

TheFnozwhowasmirage Thu 05-Feb-15 20:15:18

Actually,it wasn't a reserve price,thinking about it,I just started it at £350 as I'm selling it on behalf of my dad and that was what he said. It is a free listing and I have blocked Mr!!!!. He might bid under another account,but unless I start blocking anyone with less than a certain number of transactions, I can't help that. A lot of my target audience probably don't use eBay a lot so I'd be narrowing my customer base if I did. It is cash on collection and there is no courier who'd touch it,it is bolted to a concrete block, plus the guys who like thus stuff wouldn't trust anyone else to load it. Finishing time,well I suppose a weekend might have been better, I don't know.
I have borrowed one of those pens you check bank notes with, I don't want to be ripped off.
Green garden pixie,the brass neck of some people never fails to astound me!
My Dad has sheds and buildings full off stuff that would make Pedlars hyperventilate with excitement and he has already picked out the next thing to sell if this goes well. I'm on commission.grin

TheFnozwhowasmirage Sat 14-Feb-15 13:34:05

Well,it went for £405 and was collected today by a lovely pair of chaps,really nice and easy to deal with. Dad is happy as he nearly sold it for £25 last year. The buyers are happy as they already have 3 the same and are looking forward to restoring it. They are going to send me a photo of it when it's restored.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now