Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Oh FFS, non-paying bidders again

(8 Posts)
GregorSamsa Mon 02-Feb-15 21:01:36

So I sold an item a couple of days ago, BNWT, original price clearly visible in the photos.

Winning bidder has overbid imo, but sometimes they do if they really want something. Total bid + postage is 50p over the original new price.

I did have a gander at their feedback - not great, total FB < 50, at least 4 or 5 negs and a couple of neutrals. hmm

So today I get a message saying, "Hi, will pay on 11th Feb, cheers, crapbuyer28"

I really dont' want to sell to this bidder at all, cos I reckon even if they do pay, they'll kick off about the item in some way, and the whole thing will be a giant PITA. Otoh, I have 100% fb over 500+ transactions, and really want to keep it that way.

So what is the best way of proceeding:

1. send a reply to the message saying, "Auction clearly requests payment within 24 hours, if I don't receive payment within a reasonable timeframe I will file a nonpaying bidder strike"
2. Say nothing, and then file a strike after 4 days, or whatever the time limit currently is
3. WAit till 11th and see what happens

My aim here is to avoid getting neg feedback, and ideally blocking this bidder asap.

WWYD, experienced ebayers?

springalong Mon 02-Feb-15 21:07:56

Not after the auction has been won. If buyers communicate beforehand then fair enough. So polite reply that per T&C on ebay listing payment to be made within x days. I think though that you could end with hassle - sorry sad

GregorSamsa Mon 02-Feb-15 21:14:37

What is the best way of minimising the hassle, do you reckon?

Can buyers leave a neg after you've filed a non-paying bidder strike?

nickstmoritz Mon 02-Feb-15 23:11:31

hmm...tricky. You are caught in a bit of a hard place there because you could open a non payment case then they pay but trash your fb and DSR stars leaving you with a defect (even though I agree they have been rude not to ask for deferred payment beforehand). Try ebay CS and see if they can promise to remove any neg fb and stars should you open a case. You could request buyer cancels transaction which would give you your fees back? This is easy if they have not paid yet. Then BLOCK asap.

GregorSamsa Mon 02-Feb-15 23:30:45

I've just done a chat with ebay, they recommend opening a case as soon as the deadline is past (tomorrow). And have promised to help if unreasonable feedback is left.

I suppose I could message him beforehand to ask him to pay sooner or I'll open a case, but tbh I'd rather not contact him direct.

I just know in my gut this buyer is going to be an awkward wanker whatever I do - I've looked at some of the feedback he's left for others, and it's all got the same stroppy entitled tone.

FFS, on what planet is it okay to buy something and then announce breezily that you'll pay for it next week.

alabastergirl Tue 03-Feb-15 08:46:56

you can't open a case until 48 hours so writing 24 hours in your auction is wrong.

Just open the case, close in 4 days and add to blocked bidder list. And only then can you relist.

He won't be able to neg anyway. Don't communicate any further is my advice.

GregorSamsa Tue 03-Feb-15 09:49:26

I request payment within 24 hours, not demand it - just means I can plan my trips to the post office. I realise I can't insist on it, and I don't say otherwise in the listing.

I'm not planning to communicate directly - but am slightly trepidatious that he will pay after I've open the unpaid item case, and then leave a neg.

But hey ho, that's the risk you take, I guess. I just get so pissed off that 1% of buyers cause 95% of the problems, and it's almost invariably for low-priced non-controversial items.

Some people just don't seem to get the notion that being polite and reasonable is the best way to make everyone's life easier.

glammanana Tue 03-Feb-15 12:26:49

I think if you open an unpaid case he is going to find fault with your item anyway,you just can't win with this type of buyer.Ebay automatically send a reminder anyway so I wouldn't bother to contact him again and get CS to deal with him if he becomes aggressive in any way in his emails.Good job the nice buyers outweigh the horrible ones eh ?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now