Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

24hrs and buyer still not paid!

(40 Posts)
Lepaskilf Wed 28-Jan-15 19:03:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ihatethecold Wed 28-Jan-15 19:26:34

You're being impatient.
Just send the invoice to the buyer.

SoupDragon Wed 28-Jan-15 19:28:45

You are being impatient. Very impatient.

Ffeyone Wed 28-Jan-15 19:43:16

Yeah, you're being impatient ;) I get the same though for expensive items!!

alabastergirl Wed 28-Jan-15 19:44:52

Open the unpaid case after 48 hours - nothing you can do before then. I wouldn't bother giving them a nudge until then.

Lepaskilf Wed 28-Jan-15 20:04:33

Lepaskilf Wed 28-Jan-15 20:05:54

Haggisfish Wed 28-Jan-15 20:10:38

24 hours!!! I thought a week is yhe usual tolerance!

NormHonal Wed 28-Jan-15 20:11:26

I think it's fine to send the invoice at this juncture, they could have forgotten or not realised they won.

You could try adding a cheery note saying "Hi, congratulations on winning the auction, I'm happy to get the courier arranged ASAP once I've received payment, let me know if you have any questions about that."

But no payment after 24 hours is nothing, really.

itiswhatitiswhatitis Wed 28-Jan-15 20:12:04

It would irritate me too, so I would probably send an invoice tomorrow if you still haven't received payment

alabastergirl Wed 28-Jan-15 20:18:32

A week is not usual - most sellers open an unpaid case after 48 hours. This does give the buyer another 4 days to pay which is more than enough.

millymae Wed 28-Jan-15 20:22:43

Did you invoice them after the auction ended - if so my advice would be that as soon as 48 hours has passed open an unpaid item case.

When I first began to sell I was far too soft and I would wait a week or more after I'd sent the invoice before I did anything. Nowadays I don't hesitate to act. 5 times out of 10 opening a case has the desired effect and the buyer pays up. If they haven't paid after 4 days from when the case was opened I close the case which means I get my fees refunded and supposedly the non payer gets a strike against them. To my way of thinking this isn't sufficient punishment for a buyer that doesn't pay and if I had my way I'd allow sellers to make mention of non payment or very slow payment in their feedback, but of course this is against eBay rules.

Being someone who would no more think of bidding on something and then not paying I could not believe that there are people who would do this, but there most definitely are. IMHO two days is long enough to wait before you take action. Even then you have to wait another 4 days before you can close the case.

alabastergirl Wed 28-Jan-15 20:31:20

as a buyer automatically gets an email telling them they have won and asking them to pay, I think invoicing is just too much - unless you are amending p&p there really is no need.

Greencheese Wed 28-Jan-15 20:36:41

24 hours isn't long, they could be a shift worker, on nights etc, loads of things. Some people win by auto bid so they may not be watching their account all the time.

Or maybe they use someone else's internet and need to check?

OhMittens Wed 28-Jan-15 20:37:50

Old hander here at Ebay
I have found that a cheerful, "hi, thanks for your purchase, I am ready to send it to you once you have paid, kind regards" etc gives them a bit of a nudge (guilt trip) without being in their faces. Sending an invoice/unpaids asap etc without a cheerful message first puts peoples backs up.... there's a hard way and a soft way, choose the soft way first smile (then sock it to them smile )

ocelot41 Wed 28-Jan-15 20:37:56

I think a nice note would be more appropriate. Your buyer could be sick, bereaved or just snowed under at work. You don't know and if you don't know, be pleasant!

OhMittens Wed 28-Jan-15 20:39:20

YY to Greencheese - some people just do not live on the internet! (I mean. How come?!) wink

Lepaskilf Thu 29-Jan-15 00:18:30

inabeautifulplace Thu 29-Jan-15 00:28:59

I think a week is a reasonable enough time to wait. It might be a bit frustrating but sometimes that's how eBay is. It's good to be polite and pay at auction end, but not always practical sometimes.

Lepaskilf Thu 29-Jan-15 07:15:34

Tryharder Thu 29-Jan-15 07:26:14

Hardened seller here.
I leave upto a week. So many buyers these days do not pay promptly that it's not worth a second thought.

After a week, I send a cheery message as Oldmittens does and ask them to let me know if they've changed their minds. Most people get back to me then, apologise and pay.

A significant minority just ignore any correspondence and don't pay and I open a case against them. They get a strike (presumably) but seeing as some buyers seem to do this repeatedly, I'm fairly sure that EBay don't give a fuck.

24 hours is way too soon to get huffy with your buyer. You risk getting their back up.

Lepaskilf Thu 29-Jan-15 08:04:05

alabastergirl Thu 29-Jan-15 08:18:41

I completely agree with you Lepaskilf. You used to have to wait 4 days to open an unpaid case, luckily eBay recently changed that to 2 days as sellers got sick of waiting. I think 6 days overall is plenty of time to pay. A reminder of an unpaid case being opened is plenty. And if a buyer is never going to pay surely you are better finding out after 6 days, sending a 'cheery' message after a whole week won't make any difference to a non payer. They will just ignore.

Oh and make sure you add them to your blocked bidder list.

tiredandgrumpy Thu 29-Jan-15 08:27:35

I sold something recently and like you was getting frustrated because the buyer had taken longer than expected to pay (2 days). Then I got a lovely apologetic email explaining that she'd gone into labour and had her baby. Since you're selling a pram do you think there's a possibility something similar has happened here?

SoupDragon Thu 29-Jan-15 08:30:46

Maybe the buyer thinks you need to send them an invoice and is equally frustrated that you haven't.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: