Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Have listed with wrong model number and can't change it!

(12 Posts)
Lindt70Percent Sat 17-Jan-15 12:52:04

Hello. I've been more than a bit useless.

I'm selling an energy monitor on eBay. It's one that someone gave me and I've never used it and don't know much about it. It's still boxed and has all the instructions. I couldn't find a model number on the box or the instructions but having searched the web I came to the conclusion it was a 3.0. Someone has just asked me to confirm whether it's a 3.0 or 3.0R and so I've been back through all the info I have and found a technical specification which says it's a 4.0 which is an even better model.

The auction is due to finish at 8:45pm today and when I went to revise the item I'm not allowed to make changes to the Title or the Description. There's a message at the top of the page which says "You can't edit certain sections of your listing, including the title, duration and start price. This may be because you've bids or the listing is close to ending".

I've replied to the person that asked the question explaining that it's a 4.0 and I checked a box to say to show the question and my answer on the listing but they're not showing up.

What can I do? I'm happy to continue with the auction. I would have thought the winning bidder would be quite pleased that they're getting a better model than expected but what if they're not?

Arghhh! I'm not good at eBay!

Could you contact the buyer directly and tell them that you are withdrawing the auction and will be relisting with the correct details and a BIN price of whatever it is they have bid, so they can buy it at once, without having to wait out another auction?

Disclaimer - dh is the ebayer in this house, so I am not sure if you can withdraw a listing that is close to closing.

Update - I have asked dh, and he says you may not be able to withdraw the item close to it finishing.

However, if you can't, then when it finishes, you message the buyer and tell them that it is a different, better model, and ask them if they are happy to continue with the purchase - and if they aren't then you cancel the sale and relist.

You might be liable for some fees, in that situation - we are not sure.

Lindt70Percent Sat 17-Jan-15 13:56:26

Thanks for your help. I don't think I can withdraw it and I don't really want to anyway. I don't mind selling it for less than I might have got as it was given to me and I'm just wanting to declutter my house. I think I'll wait for the auction to end and then contact the buyer. Very irritating that I can't just add a quick message to the current listing to let people know!

doradoo Sat 17-Jan-15 14:08:01

You can add a message to the listing - you can't change it/the title

You can:

show the buyers question and your respone to it. This would be at the bottom of the listing.

add an update to the info/detail of the listing.

Lindt70Percent Sat 17-Jan-15 14:18:15

doradoo For some reason it hasn't shown the buyer's question even though I checked the box to show it. I can't see anywhere where I can add an update to the info/detail. I think it's because the auction is ending in a few hours time.

doradoo Sat 17-Jan-15 14:43:51

If you go into the item to edit the main body of text/detail - then it will should update in the listing. The original text will still be there - but the updated bit should come first IIRC.

Not sure why the question hasn't shown up though?

newyear15 Sat 17-Jan-15 15:42:11

cancel the bids on it. Or get someone else to bid on it and 'win' it - then send them cancellation request to get your fees back and relist it with the right info on the auction.

newyear15 Sat 17-Jan-15 15:45:33

or get a friend to bid on it now then send them this

offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?EndingMyAuction

then send cancellation for fees back and relist with the right details.

Lindt70Percent Sat 17-Jan-15 16:56:22

doradoo it really won't let me edit it. It says "You can't edit certain sections of your listing, including the title, duration and start price. This may be because you've bids or the listing is close to ending."

newyear15 - Thanks. I think because I'm trying to declutter my house I just want things gone, I'm not too fussed about making much on them. My main worry about this is that someone's going to kick up a fuss about it not being the item they thought it was although I think it's unlikely as it's a better item than they thought it was! It's just so frustrating not being able to put anything on the listing or in the questions bit to let people know.

newyear15 Sat 17-Jan-15 17:06:51

so end it like I have told you to and relist it with the correct info - much less hassle than annoying the buyer and getting a neg.

You can't amend a listing once there is a bid on it - regardless of how many hours are left.

Lindt70Percent Sat 17-Jan-15 18:03:22

newyear15 Yes, maybe that's the way to go. Will have to keep it in my house a week longer. Thanks.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: