Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buying on Ebay from seller in Italy. Will there be extra charges to pay for handling etc?

(4 Posts)
ThrowAChickenInTheAir Fri 09-Jan-15 11:11:48

I've never bought on Ebay from outside Uk.

I want to buy from a seller there, but worried there could be extra fees to pay ie handling charges or duty. Anyone know?

QueenTilly Fri 09-Jan-15 23:21:50

1) IME, the details of postal fees are specified in the listing. Sellers can't add on postal fees after the auction ends; the international shipping fees have to have been done when it was listed.

2) I've only ever paid duty on items from ebay USA. (And I think some of the fees were mistakenly applied, grr.) Avoiding import duty on ebay is a pluspoint of being in the EU. grin

If you trade within the EU internal market and send items from one EU country to another:

You don’t have to deal with customs and duty charges. There aren’t customs borders within the EU, unless you post to or from one the EU special territories.Customs documentation isn’t required.Within the EU, make sure you clarify what you’d like to happen to your items if they can’t be delivered to the buyer’s address. Items can be destroyed, or you can include a return address for the items to be returned to you.
sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/taxes-import-and-export-transactions

QueenTilly Fri 09-Jan-15 23:25:50

www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

This might help for future reference, with non-EU countries. Or you could use it to double-check what the above quote says, like I would, as I'm a worrier. grin

ThrowAChickenInTheAir Sat 10-Jan-15 08:30:58

Thank you so much QueenTilly that's very helpful. I needed someone to confirm all this for me which you've very kindly done. I'm a worrier too! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now