Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Is this a scam?

(12 Posts)
jofebo4 Tue 06-Jan-15 10:43:53

Hi all,
I've been offered a job in which I will be a third party selling goods. I will be an employee for a company placing items onto ebay under my own account. Will be paid weekly from them. Money from purchased items will go into my PayPal account and then I would withdraw and pass the cash to employer. Item would then be sent to someone else.

Sounds to good too be true, doesn't it.

Also added this to employment board.

EhricLovesTheBhrothers Tue 06-Jan-15 10:45:32

Yes it's a well known scam

You front for them selling fake or non existent goods, PayPal takes the money back from you by which time the 'company' is long gone.

UncrushedParsley Tue 06-Jan-15 10:46:18

Someone who has been banned from Ebay? Can't trade because they are in receipt of certain benefits? I would wonder if the goods might be a bit dodgy...

jofebo4 Tue 06-Jan-15 10:48:54

Thanks both, they've been advertising on job agencies so you hope they are real jobs. At least I know before signing the contract

newyear15 Tue 06-Jan-15 10:51:06

far too good to be true

Surprised you didn't google to check - there is lots of info about it

community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-eBay-Stores/Do-you-think-this-listing-agent-job-is-legit-or-a-scam-THANK-YOU/qaq-p/17630177

jofebo4 Tue 06-Jan-15 10:51:59

I Googled the company, and everything seemed legit! Didn't look on ebay itself.

newyear15 Tue 06-Jan-15 11:04:24

what is the company - how do you know the email is from them?

nickstmoritz Tue 06-Jan-15 11:51:30

I would not touch this with a barge pole. Sorry OP

SweetsForMySweet Tue 06-Jan-15 11:57:01

Sounds like a scam. Any job/business where you are using your own personal account/personal funds and getting reimbursed by 'the company' afterwards usually sounds dodgy to me.

newyear15 Tue 06-Jan-15 12:02:10

www.dailyrecord.co.uk/lifestyle/money/mum-loses-1700-in-ebay-ad-1092340

glammanana Thu 08-Jan-15 15:38:03

This is a scam OP Run as far away as possible,there was a seller who was caught out on this just before xmas,he advertised iphones for a third party and took the payments into his account only to pass it on to the employer,obviously the phones where not sent out to the buyers and the seller now has to refund all the buyers and he doesn't have the money all given to employer,he has to repay buyers nearly £2.400 so steer well clear.

jofebo4 Thu 08-Jan-15 15:43:27

Thanks all (and thanks for the message pointing me to your post glamanana)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now