Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Seller requesting extra postage AFTER already posting item.

(10 Posts)
AWimbaWay Mon 05-Jan-15 17:12:46

I've just had a message from the seller, she is in France, saying she has posted my item today but the postage had gone up in January (she was supposed to have posted end of December anyway but that's another story) so can I please wire her an extra £4 hmm

I've just responded with the following but now worry I was a bit harsh, it could be a language barrier after all! What do you think?

"No, I would not, I frequently sell on ebay myself and wouldn't dream of asking for extra money after a sale was made! I have in the past had to pay over the odds for postage when I have got it wrong as a seller, it is most definitely not up to the buyer to correct mistakes on the seller's behalf. I took the postage into account when I originally made my bid and went up to the amount I was willing to pay. I feel you are a very inexperienced ebayer? In all my years on here I've never encountered such a request!"

Seems pretty reasonable to me. You were blunt, but you were right.

LaurieFairyCake Mon 05-Jan-15 17:19:09

It isn't that your response was wrong, it's that it sounds a bit rude to me.

AWimbaWay Mon 05-Jan-15 17:20:28

Thanks SDTG, I don't normally do blunt, I'm usually the type to apologise if somebody knocks me over, but I was a bit taken aback by the request.

LaurieFairyCake Mon 05-Jan-15 17:21:18

With two exclamation marks and a what seems to be a fake question mark (ie. You meant it rhetorically) it's a bit harsh and angry sounding.

I think the written word can tend to look very harsh, which is why I never say anything even slightly difficult over text.

AWimbaWay Mon 05-Jan-15 17:21:30

That was my worry LaurieFairyCake, I sent it a bit in the heat of the moment, not sure there's much I can do now though?

LaurieFairyCake Mon 05-Jan-15 17:22:31

Maybe there's not, if she's French she might put it down to a language difference grin

AWimbaWay Mon 05-Jan-15 17:25:52

grin

Although I am tempted to send:

Apologies, my last message was a little abrupt, thank you for posting the item but I do feel responsibility for the extra postage cost lies with you. Thanks again and I look forward to receiving my item.

What do you think?

AWimbaWay Mon 05-Jan-15 17:44:01

Sent it.

newyear15 Mon 05-Jan-15 19:09:03

the seller is not allowed to ask for extra - shifting the goalposts after auction ended.

I wouldn't have bothered replying tbh.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now