Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Cancelled transaction with buyer from Africa, 5 days later they've paid with a UK address. Dodgy??

(9 Posts)
Crazycrazypmt Mon 05-Jan-15 16:06:59

I sold an item of clothing last week to a buyer whose here offers I'd refused in the basis that I don't ship to Africa. They had zero feedback. They went ahead and bought the item anyway, but I cancelled it and as they'd not paid it was no problem. However, they've paid today,mand the paypal address is to an address in London. This makes me very uneasy. How were they able to pay at all when the transaction was cancelled? Am I ok to simply refund? Or is this some kind of huge scam? I'm at a loss what to do.

Franke Mon 05-Jan-15 16:15:59

I often bid for things on ebay and pay with my UK paypal and have them sent to a UK address - I don't live in the UK. So in that respect, it's not dodgy at all.

However I'd also be asking how they managed to pay for a cancelled transaction as well as ignoring all your cancellations and refusals to sell to them. You don't have to sell anything to them if you don't want to. If you're feeling uneasy I'd go with your gut and issue a refund.

Crazycrazypmt Mon 05-Jan-15 16:18:55

The livechat thingy in ebay doesn't seem to be working and I really want to speak to someone. It's clearly showing the transaction has been cancelled. If I issue a refund can they use those details in any way? That's what's worrying me.

Theas18 Mon 05-Jan-15 16:26:41

Refund !

Dollyemi Mon 05-Jan-15 16:28:38

Don't touch it with a barge pole!

Crazycrazypmt Mon 05-Jan-15 16:37:24

I haven no intention of sending the item, but I'm not going to keep their money either, I just don't want them potentially being able to use the details from the refund in some dodgy way. I don't know what to do for the best and ebays help pages are useless

newyear15 Mon 05-Jan-15 19:07:51

refund and block. Did you get your fees back? And tighten up your settings too.

lljkk Mon 05-Jan-15 20:35:06

Them using a UK address sounds absolutely fine to me, I don't understand your reluctance. They got a friend to pay for the item, you ship to the paypal address only of the account that paid (in the UK), upload tracking info right away, you are covered as much as Ebay covers any seller.

I think you're mistaken about having cancelled; did you make a cancellation request but they haven't confirmed it?

Crazycrazypmt Mon 05-Jan-15 21:35:00

LLNLK, I forgot to add that since they bought the item, their address has changed from Africa to the USA. I just have a bad feeling. I've spoken to ebay who've said I'm fine to refund and block, on the basis that the transaction was indeed cancelled. How they then managed to pay I still have no idea.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now