Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Is it necessary to return tags and packaging with an item for a refund?

(12 Posts)
CuttedUpPear Tue 30-Dec-14 21:07:05

I bought three (new) items from one seller which were then unfortunately not needed, so I've returned them.
The seller has refunded two out of three of these items but is now saying that they should have been returned with tags and packaging to qualify for a refund.

I'm thinking that this can't be correct? Although I appreciate it's nice to get a returned item back in its original packaging, these were clothing items that my son tried on so obviously I had to unwrap them. The packaging wasn't reusable.

I've got 500 transactions on ebay with 100% positive feedback, I'm worried that this seller is going to start giving me trouble.

MissWimpyDimple Tue 30-Dec-14 21:18:33

Packaging no, but tags yes. Sorry I agree with the seller in that case. Why did you take the tags off?

Picturesinthefirelight Tue 30-Dec-14 21:25:11

Yes, tags & packaging the same as you would if buying from a shop I always remove clothes from packaging in a way that they can be re-put in it,even if I've had to slit the bag.

hoobypickypicky Tue 30-Dec-14 21:35:08

Yes, particularly as you've returned the items due to buyer's remorse rather than because they were not as described.

The seller will probably want to re-sell the items. She can't sell them as brand new with tags if you've removed those tags and will be out of pocket now.

I'd do the same as she has I'm afraid - refund for the items which were returned to me in the condition they left me but I wouldn't refund on any which were sold as BNWT and/or brand new in packaging/box but which arrived back without them.

nauticant Wed 31-Dec-14 08:57:57

I agree with the selller.

I would have been embarrassed to have sought a refund in the circumstances you've described because I'd feel I was taking the seller for a ride.

DoesntLeftoverTurkeySoupDragOn Wed 31-Dec-14 08:59:35

I also agree with the seller.

youmakemydreams Wed 31-Dec-14 09:17:59

Agree with the seller as well. You don't take the tags off until you've tried it on. It's something even my kids check before they put on new clothes for the first time do they need to leave the tags on until they have tried it on. If the packaging was part of the brand new ie the box for shoes or something then yes of course you open that in a way it can be put back in.

McSqueezy Wed 31-Dec-14 09:26:23

Why remove the original packaging (you binned it I assume?), and remove the tags (!) but expect a refund?

You would usually return brand new items as you bought them. You deserve the negative feedback as a buyer. It's quite a cheeky attitude.

WeAllHaveWings Wed 31-Dec-14 09:36:20

Agree with seller, removing tags and packaging (if specific to item) reduces the value of the item. More people will bid for, and, also pay more for items with tags. I am not a big eBay user but would have thought this was straightforward common sense and challenging it should result in negative feedback.

newyear15 Wed 31-Dec-14 15:19:13

yes you need to return with tags.

A seller can't ruin your feedback anyway - so nothing to worry about there.

Did you return tracked?

millymae Thu 01-Jan-15 20:48:23

Sorry OP but I hope the seller does.

Buyers like you are a menace and you should have at the very least had the decency to return the items in the exact condition you received them complete with tags and packaging

I bet that if the seller had sent them to you without tags, when she had listed them as having them, you wouldn't have accepted them so why are you surprised about the stance she is taking.

We are all different I know, but in your shoes it wouldn't even have entered my head to ask for a refund as it was not the sellers fault that I bought them, and then found them to be not needed. IMHO to return them without the tags and packing is taking the p..s. In the extreme. Apologies if you feel I am being harsh, but it's the way I see it.

bigbluestars Thu 01-Jan-15 20:58:20

Seller is right- you are in the wrong OP.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now