Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Positive feedback - or neutral or ?

(7 Posts)
unlucky83 Tue 23-Dec-14 20:50:54

Right I wanted an automatic document feeder to scan some old paper files - once they are done I intend to get rid. I wasn't bothered if the printer bit was working - I love my printer, don't need a new one.
I know modern printers often have print head failure etc so thought I'd get one like that. This one was listed with an error code - I know sometimes if there is an error message it won't let you even scan...but sometimes it will...
Found one listed as spares or repair...by a company who sell other things.
(cost £10 plus £10 postage)
I emailed them 'Will it still scan with the auto document feed? Or has this fault stopped them working too?'
Reply I got was 'Yes the scanner still works.'
It arrived today and it wouldn't scan - error message was stopping it ...(also it was ink cartridge short so it was throwing up another error message). I was a little pissed off....could have been a complete waste of money...
Any I got a new cartridge (£2) and after much faffing and web searching managed to cancel the error message. Scanner now works - suspect the printer would too - not going to risk trying ...
So about to leave feedback...
Feeling positive about it now - but still a little miffed - I could have been extremely annoyed about it -
On the other hand it isn't what they usually sell - and I guess they might not have understood what I was asking...
What would you do?

Twinklebells Tue 23-Dec-14 21:59:55

I don't understand - you bought it spares or repair and it works ok - so why would you neg?

unlucky83 Tue 23-Dec-14 23:08:06

Because it was advertised with a fault - and I asked specifically if that fault effected what I wanted it for and was told no...but in fact it did.
I wouldn't have bought it if I had known - I've fixed my own printer etc in the past with some and no success - I know you can often override error codes etc - but it doesn't always work...it was a gamble. And what I've done can lead to problems in the future - so isn't fixed fixed - just working for now) And for £20 when you can buy a new one /fully working second hand one for £30...I would have held out for one to come up that just needed a new print head...
(My main reason for getting a 'faulty' one is because they end up in landfill...generally aren't cost effective to repair and they have a built in life span - designed to fail - to force you to keep buying new ones)
But this is the third or fourth printer I've faffed with - so I knew what I was asking and I guess if you don't understand - I guess the same applies to them...they didn't either ...I'll be positive!

Twinklebells Wed 24-Dec-14 07:47:59

so message the seller and ask them how they want to resolve it - and then decide on what feedback to leave depending on their response. That is the only fair thing to do.

glammanana Wed 24-Dec-14 12:00:40

To be fair you can only really leave positive feedback in my opinion as the seller did state spares or repair so they have not mislead you in any way on the listing which is all e-bay would take on board,if you left a negative feedback the seller would be within his/her rights to ask e-bay to remove it as they had stated the condition in the original posting.

19lottie82 Wed 24-Dec-14 16:38:54

Give the seller the opportunity to resolve the situation. IF they can't / wont THEN leave neutral or negative feedback, NOT before.

unlucky83 Wed 31-Dec-14 12:05:09

Thanks for all the replies and advice.
After much dithering I contacted the seller and told them exactly how I felt - they replied quickly, apologetic and seemed to have a reasonable excuse. I don't think they deliberately lied or mislead.
Positive feedback left...all is well....
(have only ever left not positive feedback once before and that was for a con -I was far from the only one conned (I was lucky that paypal refunded me) and I filed a report with the police...)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now