Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

advice needed

(24 Posts)
werekitty Sun 21-Dec-14 14:18:37

I have seen an item on eBay, which is collection only but the seller wants to be paid via Paypal. I sent an email asking did they not want cash on collection but they confirmed that they wanted payment for the item. Am I at risk by doing this?

glammanana Sun 21-Dec-14 15:36:43

If you paid by pay-pal before collection you will have a problem if the item is not what you wanted once you have inspected the it,thats the only thing I can think of as I have always been happy with payment on collection and never had a seller say they preferred pay-pal against cash. I would insist on cash as per e-bay guidelines for collection only sales.

MisForMumNotMaid Sun 21-Dec-14 15:38:32

The advantage of asking for paypal is people pay before you wait in all day for them to change their bloomin mind and not tell you. But cash on collection or nominal paypal deposit is more usual.

TalkinPeace Sun 21-Dec-14 16:02:58

Please explain to the seller that
- if they take payment through paypal they will get 10% less
- collection items NEVER comply with paypals terms so can be chargeback at any time
- paypal hang on to money for up to 90 days without reason

if its a collection item they are MAD to do other than cash

print two copies of the order
you sign one to say "received" for their records
they sign one to say "paid" for your records

much safer for all parties

I recently forced two buyers to recall paypal payments (I marked them as payment not received to the payment unlinked and could be called back) so that I got my cash on collection

Twinklebells Sun 21-Dec-14 16:41:32

no seller should ever accept paypal for a collected item as they can be scammed - cash is the only way, and as a buyer you cannot return for a refund unless you have online proof of delivery. So once you collect and pay cash you have absolutely no recourse if not as described so check properly first.

Without online proof of delivery a buyer could just claim not received and get all the money back and the seller will not have any choice but to refund in full.

lljkk Sun 21-Dec-14 17:38:00

You're not at risk, OP. Why not do something to keep seller happy? They probably don't want to risk waiting in for a time-waster.

Paypal means seller only gets 3.4% less. That is if they play by Ebay rules, of course it's 13.4% less if they cheat the rules. And it's their risk to take. Some people don't like handling cash sales.

werekitty Sun 21-Dec-14 18:33:42

Thanks, the seller said that they wanted certainty as they had waited in for a previous buyer, so I don't have a problem with PayPal but thought it put them at more risk. Anyway will wait to see if I win the item!

Twinklebells Sun 21-Dec-14 18:51:21

yes it does put them at risk but as a buyer it is risky too. Did you tell them they are leaving themselves wide open to be scammed?

lljkk Sun 21-Dec-14 19:24:44

Less risky than buying something thru the Freeads.

Twinklebells Sun 21-Dec-14 19:36:22

But this isn't Freeads - what has that got to do with anything?

CatsCantTwerk Sun 21-Dec-14 19:38:19

If you have a smartphone there is nothing stopping you paying by paypal upon collection. Make sure you get a receipt.

Twinklebells Sun 21-Dec-14 19:45:16

what difference does it make if they get a receipt? Why would a receipt make any difference - and paying at time of collection makes no difference to paying now. Either way you can still claim not received and you can also file not as described but if you have to return for a refund then you have to return via courier with full tracking in order to get the refund.

Honestly OP - I would buy elsewhere.

TalkinPeace Sun 21-Dec-14 19:50:39

Twinkle
After umpteen years on Ebay
Ebay own Paypal
Paypal demand "signed for"
so the sensible seller always gets "signed for"
No brainer

Twinklebells Sun 21-Dec-14 20:03:36

Talkin - yes I know that already thanks - been on eBay for 15 years. What is your point?

TalkinPeace Sun 21-Dec-14 20:21:36

its about long term buyer seller relations
and old fashioned concept I know

Twinklebells Sun 21-Dec-14 20:25:48

Cats the receipt you are talking about is worthless. It does not prove collection and offers no protection to anyone.

TalkinPeace Sun 21-Dec-14 20:27:36

cats
a person to person receipt is worth nothing to Paypoo
it has to have a tracking number

CatsCantTwerk Sun 21-Dec-14 20:30:17

Twinklebells I have not got 37223 positive feedback without knowing what I am talking about dear smile

Twinklebells Sun 21-Dec-14 20:34:54

So Cats dear are you telling me you have won a not received claim with a scribbled receipt from a buyer who collected an item and paid by paypal?

TalkinPeace Sun 21-Dec-14 20:46:49

ROTFLMAOPMPL

CatsCantTwerk Sun 21-Dec-14 20:56:23

No I haven't. I have never in my 8 years of running this business had any claim like that at all. I have people collecting from me daily and if it is an expensive item and they have paid by paypal I get them to sign a receipt. Its pretty simple really. Covers both buyer and seller.

Twinklebells Sun 21-Dec-14 21:04:06

It doesn't cover anyone - I give up, I really do! If you would care to read Paypal rules you will see online proof of delivery is required in the event of a claim. A signed receipt means absolutely bugger all in the face of a claim. And how you think a receipt would protect a buyer I have no idea tbh. But heck carry on and let yourself be scammed - don't say we didn't warn you............

TalkinPeace Sun 21-Dec-14 21:08:30

Cats : how many neutrals have you got?

CatsCantTwerk Mon 22-Dec-14 11:35:59

I have 4 neutrals in 12 months. 2 negs in 12 months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now