Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buyer trying it on???? Please help

(22 Posts)
Ffeyone Sat 20-Dec-14 17:23:24

Hi, I sold an item of clothing last week for almost £30, good price, sent it recorded delivery as it was over £20.... I had an email today saying it hadn't arrived, so I tracked it on Royal Mail and there is confirmation it was signed for yesterday morning with someone of same surname as buyer......I have responded with this info, offering to forward the details of signature etc and said I can't do anymore as it was delivered. Where do I stand? Are they trying to scam? Not had it before, will ebay side with me if I have proof????

confused79 Sat 20-Dec-14 17:25:19

Probably trying it on hoping you hadn't kept the reference number, you won't hear anymore from them now.
I had the same and as soon as I replied with the info that it had been signed for by him he went quiet

TipsyMcStaggers Sat 20-Dec-14 17:30:56

Definitely trying it on. This happens to my DP a lot. I can't believe the gall of some people. Cheeky fuckers

Ffeyone Sat 20-Dec-14 17:31:14

Thanks for replying, it's shaken me up. Nothing like it before.. I've added the tracking number to the listing as ebay recommended......they surely can't deny proof if they look themselves.

Ffeyone Sat 20-Dec-14 17:31:52

What sort of people do that, it's theft basically!!!

TheReluctantCountess Sat 20-Dec-14 17:33:45

Some people will try anything. I bet you never hear back.

Ffeyone Sat 20-Dec-14 17:42:34

Hope so, thanks for help ��

Twinklebells Sat 20-Dec-14 18:03:32

make sure you always add the tracking info to the transaction. And you may find Hermes or Collect + is cheaper than RM and they always track. RM often doesn't

Ffeyone Sat 20-Dec-14 18:13:55

Thanks Twinkle, next time I'll add tracking as soon as shipped and I'll look into Hermes too

Peedie Sat 20-Dec-14 18:16:11

This happened to me - sent the tracking no and the link to the signature on the RM website. Never heard from them again. grin There are some total chancers out there.

nauticant Sat 20-Dec-14 18:27:50

Ahh, so they saw there was no tracking information attached to the transaction and then claimed the item hadn't arrived?

Fingers crossed you'll be OK now.

next time I'll add tracking as soon as shipped is a good idea since it stops some people trying it on and they'll try their luck elsewhere.

Twinklebells Sat 20-Dec-14 18:31:34

if you link your Hermes to eBay when you buy the postage it automatically adds the tracking info to eBay and marks the item as dispatched. No arguments then.

Ffeyone Sat 20-Dec-14 19:08:06

Yes nauticant, I didn't manually add the tracking when I shipped so maybe they thought I'd not sent tracked and they'd get a free item. I always save my postage receipts for a month though ini case of trouble. I'll link Hermes to my ebay account. Don't sell a lot which maybe why not had issue before. This buyer could potentially be getting lots of free refunds......

Ffeyone Sat 20-Dec-14 19:11:48

Really dishonest and annoying as I only sell ours and kids bits and bobs occasionally!!

Ffeyone Sun 21-Dec-14 17:52:16

Well I've not heard back for 24 hours smile thanks all for your help

Ffeyone Sun 21-Dec-14 21:26:46

Got a response tonight, the package had turned up after all but the buyer had forgotten ;)

TipsyMcStaggers Mon 22-Dec-14 11:21:28

Hahahahahaha that old chestnut <rolls eyes>

Glad it's sorted

glammanana Tue 23-Dec-14 10:19:05

Ffeyone Just a bit of advice re keeping your receipts don't just keep them for a month find yourself a little box and keep them for at least 6 months as that is the longest period of time people have to raise a dispute even if the item has been received or not,not many people will need them but just be on the safe side as there are a lot of scammers who will use an item for 3/4mths and then find fault.

AutumnDragon Tue 23-Dec-14 10:56:27

Good advice about keeping the receipts, but make it 180 days as that is how long Paypal give buyers

glammanana Tue 23-Dec-14 12:15:28

Autumn I think 6mths works out to about 180 days in a normal year,wonder how we get on in a leap year lol.

Ffeyone Tue 23-Dec-14 14:41:42

Great advice glamma and autumn, will do xx

AutumnDragon Tue 23-Dec-14 16:19:23

glammanana Damn, I knew I shouldn't have started on the Christmas booze yet grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now