Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buyer requesting item sent to a different address

(14 Posts)
GregorSamsa Fri 19-Dec-14 15:58:59

The address they want it sent to is different from the address registered on Ebay and Paypal.

Is this okay? I dimly remember there are reasons not to ship to other addresses, but can't immediately find any info about this on ebay.

CakeSnow Fri 19-Dec-14 16:08:40

I'm guessing it's a present for someone. Just send them a message to explain why the different address.

GregorSamsa Fri 19-Dec-14 16:15:40

I'm not sure it is, I wonder whether it is because they are going to be away for Christmas.

I have messaged the buyer asking which dates the different address applies to , but not had an answer.

Does anyone know if there is a deal-breaking reason not to ship to a different address? I had a feeling it invalidates the paypal/ebay guarantee in some way. I seem to remember that the only other time I did that on request, the buyer claimed not to have received the item, and it all ended in tears.

Hmm.

HaveYouHeardOfGoogle Fri 19-Dec-14 16:18:16

I get items posted to other addresses all the time when I'm buying on behalf of family. Saves the hassle of me having to get the item to them. Never had any problems and never thought of it as being 'dodgy'

If the item is tracked and you have a record that the buyer requested a different delivery address I would have thought you were totally covered.

GregorSamsa Fri 19-Dec-14 16:22:29

Perfect, that's what I wanted to hear!

Thank you.

<<keeps fingers crossed>>

Familyguyfan Fri 19-Dec-14 16:40:15

I have a feeling that failing to send it to the PayPal address leaves you without a leg to stand on if they appeal it. I think you have to send it to the Paypal address but I'm sure ebay will have some explanatory section somewhere.

PfftTheMagicDraco Fri 19-Dec-14 17:02:51

I'm sure you are only covered if you send to the registered address

NanTheWiser Fri 19-Dec-14 17:10:57

Get the buyer to add the new address to their Paypal, otherwise you are not covered (IIRC).

GregorSamsa Fri 19-Dec-14 17:57:58

Hmm, that was my feeling as well. I have messaged the buyer and asked them to send add the requested address.

Let's see what happens.

Twinklebells Fri 19-Dec-14 17:59:44

no you mustn't send it - refund their money and then ask them to repay you and add the address as a gift address. And send it tracked too to make sure you are covered.

Peedie Fri 19-Dec-14 18:00:42

Yes, it has to go to the registered Paypal address or else you are not covered if there is a dispute.

alltoomuchrightnow Fri 19-Dec-14 23:21:23

no way send it! I've had issues with this before. I now put in every single listing that I will only send to the registered address, so if they want to send to alternative then they must change it BEFORE the listing ends (or before they do a BIN)

SlideIn Sat 20-Dec-14 19:34:15

Yes, the address must be on PayPal or if it goes 'missing' you aren't covered. I buy things for my sister occasionally and send directly to her, so have her address set up as an alternative. It's no bother so I'd be suspicious if they didn't want to do this.

19lottie82 Tue 23-Dec-14 11:41:18

NO NO and NO again (yes I'm shouting)! NEVER send to an alternative address to the one that is on the paypal payment email. They can claim it never arrived and if you've sent it to an alternative address, even if tracked, you'll have to refund in full.

Just send the buyer a message explaining this. If they kick up a stink there should be an option to cancel the purchase due to "an issue with the address".

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now