Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Ebay item damaged/ missing fixtures

(10 Posts)
HaveYouSeenHerLately Sat 06-Dec-14 16:12:51

Hello smile

I've purchased an IKEA garden table on eBay - described as new, with a further ' brand new unopened' in the full item description.

I've opened the box just now and it's missing all fixings. Furthermore the wood has split badly in a crucial (visible) place, squashing a screw hole sad

The box definitely looks like it's been opened, although I suppose they could argue it was to check the contents.

I'm quite annoyed as I feel as though I've been lied to. The seller and his wife sound like my genteel grandparents which somehow makes it worse! 
I spoke to the seller on the phone while organising the courier collection. It transpired that they were retired and selling it on behalf of a third party (not mentioned in the description).

Really I want my money back however I don't want to return the table at my expense. Is there any way around this? 
Should I be raising a case it through PayPal or eBay for the best chance of success? I understand I can do one or the other, not both.

I haven't contacted the seller yet as I wanted to get my facts straight first. I have a feeling they will deny responsibility and position themselves as the middlemen angry Saying that they have sold 30+ items in the last 12 months with 100% positive feedback so they shouldn't be totally naive re. eBay.

Any help would be appreciated!

HaveYouSeenHerLately Sat 06-Dec-14 16:16:49

I booked the courier myself, with the seller's permission. Unfortunately I didn't take out any extra cover.

The piece that is damaged was securely wrapped in the middle of the box, surrounded by other sections.

NorbertDentressangle Sat 06-Dec-14 16:27:30

Years ago I bought a brand new wooden window blind. When it arrived the fixings to attach it to a wall were missing from the box, essentially rendering the blind useless.

I did check on line to see if I could get the fixings seperately, but I couldn't (as your table is Ikea you may be able to get the fixings though?).

The seller was very apologetic, they'd obviously not checked the box before selling it, and just refunded me the full amount incl P&P and said to do whatever I wanted with the blind as it would have cost a fortune to send back to them as it was so heavy and couldn't have been used anyway.

As the item you've bought is not as described (ie it's missing parts and damaged) then try and resolve it with the seller first and if not then escalate it?

HaveYouSeenHerLately Sat 06-Dec-14 16:54:22

Thanks Norbert!

I've applied to IKEA for the missing fixings - fingers crossed. If I had the fixings I might feel that I could accept a partial refund from the seller, although the damage makes me not want to pay very much I'm truthful.
I was led to believe I was bidding on a new one.

I paid a third of the RRP (more if you include the cost of the courier).
I think I'd rather have my money back and buy one from IKEA that I know to be solid and actually new.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience of disputes concerning bulky/ heavy items.
If I accepted a partial refund I would be left with a damaged table. If I push for a full refund, am I expected to pay (and organise) the return cost of the table? angry

I'm almost certain the seller's going to cheerfully claim that there's nothing they can do - must've been damaged and fixings lost in transit (their listing states no returns) grin

Patchworkqueen Sat 06-Dec-14 17:04:37

you will have to open a case - eBay will not give a partial refund at all. And you will need to return tracked. Seller is very unwise to let a buyer arrange their own courier btw.

And their listing saying no returns means the square root of sod all so ignore that. And you can presume they will say whatever but that is pointless - just open a case.

HaveYouSeenHerLately Sat 06-Dec-14 18:47:22

Thanks Patchwork. Do you have any experience of the pros and cons of opening an eBay case vs. a PayPal one? Apparently I can only do one.

I'm only ever a buyer on eBay and I've had very few issues over the years!

Patchworkqueen Sat 06-Dec-14 18:48:06

yes - open the case with eBay.

HaveYouSeenHerLately Sat 06-Dec-14 19:12:04

Oh I've just had a very long response from them. Blaming everyone from the family friend they are selling on behalf of, to my courier, and ending with it having put them off selling on eBay anymore as it was all done 'in good faith'. No offer to fix things.

I can understand their frustration but it's not exactly great for me either angry

They have also lied again by saying the box was never opened by the 3rd party when it's quite obvious the original clear plastic packaging tape has been cut all over and resealed using strips of brown parcel tape. They ought to have been more careful in their listing.

As it is I believed the contents were intact as the box had literally never been opened (they stated this!)

Time to open a case I guess sad

Patchworkqueen Sat 06-Dec-14 19:24:12

trouble is you organised the courier so you won't get a refund for that amount. And letting a buyer arrange their own courier, they can't claim for any damage and if the buyer claims not received they have no leg to stand on whatsoever. Not that you should do that. But they are clearly clueless. And put them off selling - well they should have been honest really - not your problem is it.

HaveYouSeenHerLately Sat 06-Dec-14 19:39:12

Thank you. I'll see where I get with eBay. Worst case I will have to try and get the fixings from IKEA and see about glueing the piece back together. Lesson learnt (it was my first foray into couriering!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now