Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buyer complaining, asking for 50% refund even though I suggested returning item to me for full refund?

(14 Posts)
bigpaws Wed 03-Dec-14 19:13:43

Buyer is disputing an item I sold on EBay. She is disappointed with the condition - however I can assure you there is nothing at all wrong with it.

I suggested the buyer returns it to me and I will issue a full refund. However, she is stating she will keep the item but wants 50% refunding and she will leave me positive feedback.

She is turning quite nasty and sarcastic.

Maybe I'm being stubborn by not refunding the 50% as the return postage cost is only a couple of pounds less.

Just annoys me that she is being dishonest. Anyone can buy off eBay and open a dispute. The buyer will win and I'll be out of pocket. What shall I do? hmm

mymummademelistentoshitmusic Wed 03-Dec-14 19:15:21

Tell eBay you've offered a refund on return of item. If the buyer keeps pulling this stunt they will get found out and banned.

Starlightbright1 Wed 03-Dec-14 19:16:19

To be honest this is why I stopped selling on Ebay...Tell her if she is unhappy she can return it again.

ChristmasJumperWearer Wed 03-Dec-14 19:18:16

No advice, just sympathy.

I had one recently where the item was in great condition, but the buyer complained and I ended up forking out for return postage as well as the full refund in order to get it back.

She had me over a barrel, it was comply or lose my 100% feedback rating. I got the distinct impression it was a "oh shit, I've spent too much money" situation but I was the one who lost money.

Sold it again for the same price immediately and new buyer was "delighted".

It still rankles. I researched it and decided a full refund/return was best course of action, ebay doesn't protect sellers very much it seems.

bigpaws Wed 03-Dec-14 19:21:37

I have messaged again telling her I will give full refund if she wants to return the item to me. Or as an alternative I will refund the return postage cost of £3. I'm so annoyed as either way I am out of pocket. I know it's only £3 and I really shouldn't stress about it, but being an honest person it makes me very annoyed.

Trying to earn a few extra £s for Christmas and this happens hmm

bigpaws Wed 03-Dec-14 19:25:07

Thank you for the sympathy CJW.

It's my 100% positive feedback that is on my mind - and she tried to bribe me with positive feedback if I give her the 50% refund.

I am really annoyed. Maybe I should lick my wounds and get over it? angry

SirChenjin Wed 03-Dec-14 19:29:38

I had one exactly like this - she disputed the size and wanted to go halves on the cost. In the end she left me neutral feedback with a sarky comment, which I responded to - and then she went ballistic. It just made her sound mad, and give the rest of my feedback was 100% I suspect that other buyers have just ignored her ramblings. Wonder if it's the same person??

bigpaws Wed 03-Dec-14 19:33:37

Hhhmmmm SirC - interesting thought.

How can they get away with this? It is so frustrating

Patchworkqueen Wed 03-Dec-14 19:58:21

report her for feedback extortion and also you must only refund after she has returned your item in the condition in which it was sent - eBay will never force a partial refund btw. And even if you do everything she asked she could still neg.

myotherusernameisbetter Sat 06-Dec-14 21:53:52

I've got a similar one at the moment - i've done the same as you OP, I've offered a refund and to pay the return postage or I'll give discount of £2.50 (cost of both postages) if she wants to keep it - that was within 10 minutes of her email and she hasn't replied for 2 days! confused

bigpaws Mon 08-Dec-14 06:17:39

I haven't heard back from my buyer either. My last message was to say I would give a refund once the item is returned to me.

No reply, so don't know what they are intending to do. She threatened to open a case with the EBay resolution centre since we can't resolve this between us?!!! I thought my suggestion was quite acceptable. Obviously not what she wanted though.

I have got loads more items to list on eBay, but headaches like this really puts me off confused

myotherusernameisbetter Mon 08-Dec-14 08:16:40

Mine came back and said she'd like to keep it as long as it works as the game is out of print now. She didn't say anything about the discount I offered. I sent a reply saying I'd pay her the discount and given all my positive selling feedback, I wasn't out to scam anyone. No reply but sent the money back. Hope yours get sorted. My guess is she's either returned it (less likely) or she's mumped her gums now and will leave it at that.

nickstmoritz Mon 08-Dec-14 10:44:59

OP report for fb extortion and if she does neg ask ebay to remove for this reason. Check other fb left & received. This happened to me last xmas & when I looked at his fb loads said "thanks for the refund" or he left negs. He got my item and all money back as I wanted to keep my 100% and he had threatened to neg or neutral. This was for a video game I listed for my son which worked perfectly and was not a lot of money. He left me the pos with "thanks for refund" but still left me crap stars and was a total scammer. People try it on to get free stuff. Your buyer will probably wear the item and then return (I have also had this happen - returned 3 weeks after buying smelling of BO...NICE!) Stick to asking for a return for a refund and hopefully they will realise you are not going to play their game and give up.

McFox Mon 08-Dec-14 11:02:13

I've had the same thing recently for a dress that sold for 99p!! She left negative feedback saying that it was covered in stains - er, bullshit - and has ignored my messages saying to return it and I'll refund her. Just why? It's totally enraging to loss my 100% rating for 99 bloody p. Cheeky cow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now