Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

global shipping grr!

(4 Posts)
joaninha103 Mon 01-Dec-14 11:28:13

didn't realise you're automatically subscribed to the global shipping thing until I get a message in Italian (thank goodness for google translate!) saying something like "I've won your item, please can I pay by postal order" I replied (in english, guessing they understand enough to read the item description!) that I don't post overseas and only accept paypal, then hastily unsubscribed from global shipping! Buyer has zero feedback and I've no proof they're even from Italy. Looking into it, if they pay in euros, who pays the currency conversion? I do! If I don't send it by signed for courier or registered post, who pays if it gets lost? I do! I offered free postage (it's a very low value item) and figure it's really not worth all the stress and hassle! Anyone else had bad/good/any experience with global shipping?

Blossomy14 Mon 01-Dec-14 11:41:13

you would be much safer accepting a postal order - especially as items often do go missing in Italy. No risk of a chargeback if not paid by paypal plus no fees.

nauticant Mon 01-Dec-14 15:43:40

For an overseas order I'd only be "happy" with a Paypal payment.

I've used the Global Shipping Programme (GSP) for a number of orders without a problem. In fact, to cover the seller against the item going missing, all the seller has to do is get the item to ebay's UK depot (I forget whether it's Nottingham or Derby) and I think the item would be less likely to become "lost" on that journey than going to a private address.

I've opted out of the GSP now though. It isn't clear to me what I might be held responsible for and I could imagine handling problems could be a nightmare.

BreakOutTheKaraoke Tue 02-Dec-14 12:51:21

I've opted out, because of the returns options. Its not clear what happens if a buyer decides to return the item, how much of the cost the seller will have to cover.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now