Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Over 100 items listed, most still at 99p. So frustrating!

(32 Posts)
Tortoise Sun 30-Nov-14 19:56:53

Relisted all at 99p start after failing to sell on BIN a few times thinking I might get more interest! Most items still have no bids and no watchers. So frustrating, some items are worth more than 99p.
Is ebay just so busy now that things get overlooked?

lljkk Sun 30-Nov-14 20:04:19

Shouldn't list at 99p (don't mean to have a go). You will be lucky to cover your fees doing that because people are so nasty about postage costs must =what you paid. Did you research that all those items have sold recently, and what for? I would list 30 day BIN for a median sort of price compared to what similar sold for recently (include postage in the sale price).

Buy-it-now is much more attractive than possible 99p sale price.

Sales will spike until about 20 December, then spike again 25-30 December. Plan for those high interest windows.

Tortoise Sun 30-Nov-14 20:14:17

Yes researched and have listed on BIN a few times reducing the prices each time by a little. Because its a business account 99p listing costs 10p, anything more costs 30p so I've probably ready spent over a pound an item already on relisting! Really thought bids would be a better option to try but regretting that with just over a day to go!

lljkk Sun 30-Nov-14 20:17:28

Oh nuts, am I right to think you can't have a private account?

Sorry, live and learn. I think Auctions are only good for very desirable items, and even then hit and miss. Buy-it-Now much better sellers.

I call some items 'Low sells'. They will sell for a good price but buyers only come along once in a while. So really have to play a long Game of waiting it out (relisting at same price again & again) rather than reducing price in hope of sale. Don't know how that works if you can't get free listings.

Maybe try Ebid!?

Tortoise Sun 30-Nov-14 20:29:14

No I'm not allowed a private account because my items and business items are similar stuff ie new and 2nd hand clothes and toys. They restricted my old private account to buying only!
Auctions used to be good especially for good brands.

VeganCow Mon 01-Dec-14 11:27:29

I always start at 99p, even for expensive items like iphone, ds etc. Never had an item not reach what I wanted. Sometimes they get first bid with hours to go, then can reach 26 bids in last ten minutes.

Tortoise Mon 01-Dec-14 11:49:05

Thanks, I'm hoping some sell well. With a lot having zero watchers I'm not overly optimistic! Only a few hours left.

Blossomy14 Mon 01-Dec-14 11:54:13

Vegan - why start at 99p? - for a private seller there is really no need and it is far too risky tbh.

Tortoise Mon 01-Dec-14 14:04:53

Used to get more interest in low start price items.

Lunastarfish Mon 01-Dec-14 14:09:37

Perhaps insulting but are your descriptions detailed enough?. I sell a lot of clothes but 'black shirt' will never sell. 'Goth black shirt' does

Tortoise Mon 01-Dec-14 14:36:23

I'm not great at descriptions tbh and have no idea what style of ie dress/skirt etc are most of the time but hopefully title is clear enough.

19lottie82 Mon 01-Dec-14 15:40:09

some things just aren't great sellers on ebay, the main group being second hand clothes (IME), unless they are specific designer brands. It's really not worth selling these. I always look on ebay before listing an item and check what similar pieces are selling for. that way you can decide if it's worth the trouble.

Tortoise Mon 01-Dec-14 16:29:18

I've not done too bad on 2nd hand clothes in general but that's been BIN listings

Tortoise Mon 01-Dec-14 21:14:29

Gutted, beautiful Jane Norman dress sold for 99p sad Should have kept it till spring/summer time. Just don't have the storage space.

Coconutty Mon 01-Dec-14 21:33:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tortoise Mon 01-Dec-14 21:35:17

Typical lol! Oh well, a couple of bits did ok. A couple that were an absolute bargain at 99p! Lots unsold so will probably go back to BIN or start with higher price lol!

VeganCow Sun 07-Dec-14 16:41:49

Blossomy why do you think its not a good idea for a private seller?

In the early days I would list at say a tenner start, and get no or few bids, it must put people off knowing something will cost them at least that, whereas with the 99p start, I get loads of watchers hoping for a bargain then bidding wars start.

And have always made higher than I expected. If things started going for less than I hoped I would have to change tactic but this has worked for ten years for me so will carry on.

The most hair raising was selling a Samsung Galaxy S4 within 4 months of release, with a start of 99p, it was like new but luckily got more than I hoped. I think it had 48 bids if memory serves me right.

Patchworkqueen Sun 07-Dec-14 16:44:53

why list at 99p - what if you only get 1 bidder. There is no need to list at that price now listing is free. It used to be free if 99p now it doesn't matter the amount. Silly risk to take isn't it. List at a tenner and get 1 bid or at 99p and get 1 bid. No brainer surely?

VeganCow Sun 07-Dec-14 18:01:06

as I said, if you list at a tenner a lot of people wont bid as think too high and they think the end price will be too high. List at 99p and LOADS of people get on board.

Also, huge numbers of people use the search filter using a 'to' and 'from' price, you are cutting them out, plus their potential 'watch this item' if you raise your start price.

Patchworkqueen Sun 07-Dec-14 18:04:12

not true - I have listed at 99p and sold at that price, loads of people don't always get on board. It is never worth the risk.

plinkyplonks Sun 07-Dec-14 18:08:05

I see both sides of argument here - I used to put things on for 99p. But I had things sell for much lower than I wanted. Now my starting price is usually 10-20% below what i'd really like to get for it. I'd rather keep the item than let it sell for less than that.

Patchworkqueen Sun 07-Dec-14 18:51:39

also it used to be free to list at 99p, that is why people did it. Now it is free at any price it is pointless to start so low. And risking selling an item at that price is just not worth it. You should always start at the lowest price you are willing to receive really.

simbacatlivesagain Sun 07-Dec-14 19:46:19

I have over 5000 feedback and must have bought and sold at least 7000 items on ebay. I never do 99p start. These days I do xxx or best offer

Tortoise Sun 07-Dec-14 22:53:38

Not so easy for me with business account. Thinking about giving it all up, need higher value items to sell as I'm self employed as an ebayer.

Tortoise Mon 08-Dec-14 11:15:19

Bloody typical! Relisted everything last night. Just had an email offering free BIN listings for business accounts!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now