Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Item I have sold hasn't arrived! What to do?!

(26 Posts)
Lepaskilf Sun 30-Nov-14 18:44:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

500internalerror Sun 30-Nov-14 18:45:59

Sadly, there's nothing you can do - except remember to always get a tracking number in future sad. Apart from genuine reasons, tracking I'd good because it puts scammers off!

Lepaskilf Sun 30-Nov-14 19:30:02

Blossomy14 Sun 30-Nov-14 19:34:01

never send RM - Hermes is much better. I would think it has arrived but with no proof you have to refund, and take the loss too. Always send with proof of delivery - it is the only way.

JamNan Mon 01-Dec-14 10:37:06

Signed for costs an extra £1 on Hermes.

If an item sold at that sort of price I would have sent it signed for and paid the extra. There's nothing much you can do but get in touch with RM - there customer service is very helpful. I bought something once and it never arrived, seller refunded me and then a couple of weeks later RM returned it to the seller.

Blossomy14 Mon 01-Dec-14 10:40:09

you don't need to pay the extra for a signature with Hermes though - you still have online proof of delivery without a signature.

19lottie82 Mon 01-Dec-14 15:33:12

Unfortunately OP, all you can do is take this as a lesson learnt to always sent tracked for items worth over £20.

If you don't, a buyer can claim it hasn't arrive, and you can't prove otherwise, so have to refund.

Ebay is full of scamming buyers who like to claim the item hasn't arrived when it hasn't been sent tracked.

nauticant Mon 01-Dec-14 15:36:42

My experience is that without paying for Hermes signed for, about 20% of my items are left outside houses, flats, wherever. Paying the extra quid stops that in nearly all cases.

I don't mind paying an extra quid when I'm sending an item worth more than £100. If the item is clearly going to a block of flats I might pay the extra quid in any case.

Patchworkqueen Mon 01-Dec-14 16:01:02

if you send a £100 item with Hermes you need to pay extra insurance anyway.

nauticant Mon 01-Dec-14 16:04:22

That depends on whether I'm wanting to have the risk or I'm paying them to take it on. I decide that case-by-case.

millymae Mon 01-Dec-14 16:08:41

I hate it when I see posts that say never send anything by Royal Mail because the one and only problem I've ever had with them is when the Postman forget to put a card through my door when I was out and the item sat in the sorting office and was eventually returned to the seller.

About a fortnight ago one of my buyers contacted me to say that an item I had sent first class a few days earlier hadn't turned up. I replied to him explaining what had happened to me and asking him to check at the sorting office and his neighbour. Within the hour he had contacted me again - the item was with his neighbour! Ask your buyer to do the same OP - you can't open a claim with the Post Office until 15 days (I think) after the item should have been delivered so I wouldn't be refunding before then anyway. My experience is that Royal Mail is pretty reliable but just occasionally human error lets them down.

As to Hermes, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole - my heart sinks when I see that something is being delivered by them as my last parcel took 6 weeks to turn up - was thrown at me by the delivery man, and smelled as though it had been stored in a farm yard. Plus the tracking on the website is next to useless.

TalkinPeace Mon 01-Dec-14 16:08:43

Paypal's rules are absolutely clear : always send signed for.
Your buyer will claim their money back from you.

Patchworkqueen Mon 01-Dec-14 16:12:45

no - the rules are send with online proof of delivery - which Hermes provides without needing to pay extra for a signature.

And I have found RM never bother with a signature when I pay for it, Hermes you always have proof of delivery so a buyer cannot claim not received. Plus it is cheaper too.

nauticant Mon 01-Dec-14 16:16:14

Here are the requirement as stated by Paypal:

You need online tracking information from a delivery company that:

Shows the status as delivered.
Shows the date of delivery.
Includes the recipient’s address, showing at least the city, state or postcode (or their equivalent).
For items valued at $250 USD (or local currency equivalent) or more, includes proof of the recipient’s signature to confirm delivery.

TalkinPeace Mon 01-Dec-14 16:20:07

Royal Mail recorded delivery complies with Paypoos rules : I've been selling on Ebay for 14 years

nauticant Mon 01-Dec-14 16:22:17

Actually, it seems there are a number of different requirements provided by Paypal for the UK. What would take precedence isn't completely clear.

My working assumption is accept the risk of losing the item or make sure there'll be online proof of delivery.

Patchworkqueen Mon 01-Dec-14 17:03:43

Royal Mail signed for is completely useless when the postman doesn't bother to get a signature though which I find happens at least half of the time. Plus it costs more than Hermes - why pay more for a service which doesn't do what it says it will?

Lepaskilf Mon 01-Dec-14 22:31:58

Patchworkqueen Mon 01-Dec-14 22:33:28

you need to have credit in your paypal account first before you can refund the buyer. So you will need to transfer money from your bank to paypal first.

Lepaskilf Mon 01-Dec-14 22:37:28

Patchworkqueen Mon 01-Dec-14 22:49:48

if she has opened a dispute eBay will refund if she escalates it, but then paypal will want the money from you straight away, not in a few weeks.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Mon 01-Dec-14 22:54:15

How do you use Hermes? Do they collect the parcels from you or do you drop them off somewhere?

Patchworkqueen Tue 02-Dec-14 08:21:31

you just go to their website and purchase - and they can collect or you can drop off.

nauticant Tue 02-Dec-14 08:21:41

There's home pickup or drop off at a Parcelshop according to what you choose for any particular package. Hermes' website will show you the locations of the Parcelshops to see if there's one handy for you. Drop off is slightly (20p) cheaper.

Hermes is easy to set up for use. You open an account and off you go. The only requirement is access to a printer so you can print out barcoded labels to put on your packages. If you make a mistake it's easy to cancel an order (so long as you don't leave it too late) and get a refund.

MsAdorabelleDearheartVonLipwig Tue 02-Dec-14 10:23:00

Oh right ok, thanks. It's such a pain in the arse if you're selling loads of stuff to lug it all to the post office and then queue for ages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now