Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Do I refund original postage to buyer?

(7 Posts)
lynniep Sat 29-Nov-14 08:40:23

There's no dispute. Its a simple case of I sold some boots and they've returned them as they don't fit, which is fine. They paid the postage to return the boots.

I'm not sure what the ebay rules are about refunding them are - do I just refund price paid or do I give them their original postage back (meaning I'm out of pocket of course)?

KitbitAgain Sat 29-Nov-14 08:43:20

If it wasn't your fault they did't fit then just refund the item price.
If, as in my bitter experience, the item was completely different to the one in the listing, you should pay original post costs plus cost to return (he didn't, ebay didn't make him and I am £10 out of pocket angry)

SnoozyGiraffe Sat 29-Nov-14 08:45:56

It might depend on your wording in the listing, but as long as you accurately described the size then I think the buyer accepted the risk in buying shoes online and should only get the purchase price back.
If you're a business it's different though. And it might be better to say no returns!

Blossomy14 Sat 29-Nov-14 09:39:32

Yes you do refund the postage - and never write no returns on your listing, it is pointless and makes you look obstructive (and it is wrong).

lynniep Sat 29-Nov-14 09:47:29

Well I'm definitely not refunding them postage. The boots have arrived back with scuffs on the front that weren't there when I sent them. Not terrible, but I'm going to have to reduce the price when I list them this time. I don't have the energy to dispute this. I'm not a business. They are a very nice pair of Rockport chelsea boots.

Also, the buyer paid £11 to have them returned special delivery to me. This baffles me. Why not first class recorded at less than a fiver (what I sent them for)?

Blossomy14 Sat 29-Nov-14 10:59:04

because recorded many times posties never get a signature. And if they file not as described eBay will refund the original postage and you will prob get neg feedback too.

lynniep Sat 29-Nov-14 11:45:16

Damn. I didn't get a choice in the matter. Ebay have made it all or nothing with their return request process. Ah well you live and learn. (As an asides, the boots were very accurately described and I have 100% +ve feedback for over 1000 transactions both selling and buying)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now