Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Counterfeit item on Ebay

(15 Posts)
kettleoffish Sat 29-Nov-14 00:11:50

I bought a DVD on Ebay which has turned out to be a home made copy. I tried to report it to the resolution centre, but Ebay says that as the item has been removed off Ebay and the seller has closed the account, I cannot get my money back.

Is that true or is there some other way I can get my money back?

Blossomy14 Sat 29-Nov-14 08:28:28

open a paypal case instead?

kettleoffish Sat 29-Nov-14 15:19:17

Ebay won't let me open a case as it says the seller's items has been removed off EBay.

kettleoffish Sat 29-Nov-14 15:20:39

*removed from EBay, by EBay.

I don't know why but perhaps eBay was alerted to the seller selling counterfeit products. However seems a bit unfair to me that now eBay is not going to deal with refunds because they have taken the items off EBay.

Screenclean Sat 29-Nov-14 15:23:29

I just cut and paste this from a post I made this week. Hope it helps:

If it's any consolation I can tell you how I got revenge on a shitty seller.

He sold me a knock off cd. I was cross as it wasn't described as fake, and it wouldn't play in my CD player. I gave him negative feedback. He gave ME negative feedback. I saw red.

I contacted eBay, PayPal, the counterfeit people (forgot what they're called...) And wait for it.... The record company EMI. I contacted everyone else who had given him bad feedback with the above links.

He was removed from eBay. I was refunded in full and sent a load of random CDs from emi to thank me for my time. All over a Tony Christie CD smile

Screenclean Sat 29-Nov-14 15:24:29

Do not take this lying down. It is illegal!

Blossomy14 Sat 29-Nov-14 16:02:04

yes I know you can't open an eBay case but have you logged into paypal and opened a case with them instead?

glammanana Sat 29-Nov-14 16:37:58

Go via pay-pal and message "vero" people,their contact is on the bottom of your selling page and tell them the story keep on at pay-pal and get your money back what this person has done is illegal.

19lottie82 Mon 01-Dec-14 15:35:43

Screenclean - Sellers can't leave negative feedback for buyers. If they left a positive feedback with negative wording, report this to ebay. It will be removed and the seller will be reprimanded, as it's against ebays T&C's.

kettleoffish Mon 01-Dec-14 22:32:43

PayPal tells me to go through EBay Resolution Centre to solve the issue. But EBay Resolution centre won't let me open a dispute because this seller's items have been removed from eBay by eBay.

Cannot find Vero from PayPal but can from EBay. However, clicking on the "Contact Us" link for Vero from my EBay account just led me straight back to EBay Resolution centre. And after clicking on "Open Request" there, and selecting the item in my purchased items list for "Purchased Item Isn't As Described", it just leads me back to the page which says

" Unfortunately we cannot process a return because we removed these items from EBay as they didn't comply with our listing policies. Your purchase may still be protected through EBay Money Back Guarantee. You can open a request to see if your item qualifies."

Now if I click "Open request" here, it asks me to enter item number. I enter the item number for the counterfeit DVD order, and then get an error message saying "Oops that isn't quite right. Please correct the item number."

I have tried this ad infinitum... Same every time.

I think this is it. EBay is not going to bother. And neither can I do anything about it through PayPal. Really disappointed with how eBay operates these days. I have been stung twice in the past 3 months although I have also bought many other things from eBay with no problems. But now I know if the seller is dodgy then there is little protection for me.

kettleoffish Mon 01-Dec-14 22:34:04

Also I think the item number of the product doesn't exist now because eBay removed it. So I think it's safe to say that anyone who bought a fake DVD off this seller will probably not see their money back...

Patchworkqueen Mon 01-Dec-14 22:34:51

contact eBay via live chat then I reckon?

kettleoffish Mon 01-Dec-14 22:35:15

Luckily the DVD only cost £6.49. Could have been worse.

WandaDoff Mon 01-Dec-14 22:37:29

pages.ebay.co.uk/help/account/contact-customer-support.html

Phone or email them smile

kettleoffish Mon 01-Dec-14 22:37:57

Yeah but I'm not feeling like doing it now. The last time I tried contacting eBay customer chat, it took me 2 hours and came to nothing. EBay still expected me to return a book I bought from a US seller with over 10 vital missing pages, at my own expense, if the seller refuses to pay for return postage. And guess what? Seller refused. And eBay customer chat says they will not do anything about it. All that conversation took 2 hours... Because they are so slow to respond ... A lot of waiting around...

I probably won't want to go to that trouble for 6 quid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now