Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Bidders requesting Buy It Now

(18 Posts)
EmilyGilmore Sun 23-Nov-14 23:00:10

I'm not prolific on eBay so bear with me...I've listed a child's toy, brand new, quite popular item out of stock everywhere (not Frozen!). I've put the starting price at what I know to be the RRP.

Already (day 2) I'vd had two emails asking me if I'll do a Buy It Now price. One said it was his son's birthday on the day the auction ends and he'd love to secure it earlier...

I've got quite a few watchers but no bids. Should I ask them what they'd offer or just let it run and see what happens? I was under the impression adding a Buy It Now would cost me.

Blossomy14 Mon 24-Nov-14 08:18:26

yes there is a fee to add it - you can ask their price if you want to. Is up to you if you want to end now or let it run. And make sure you send tracked, ie Hermes. RM signed for is often not reliable enough.

d0ttyne11 Mon 24-Nov-14 08:25:22

I got in a flap earlier this year in the same situation as you. In the end (DH told me) to just stick to my guns and tell them No, it's going to auction. I did that and then wondered why I'd felt the pressure from total strangers!!

If they really were that bothered them could go on an alternative site and buy full price.

Stick to plan A, in my mind it's not worth the hassle / bother xx

EmilyGilmore Mon 24-Nov-14 09:54:27

I've had a third request now! Are they looking to get it sooner or cheaper do you think?

Cupcakes123 Mon 24-Nov-14 10:02:18

I think it's so they can get it cheaper, I always say no to requests to change to a buy it now listing.
but I'm very stubborn! smile

Teeb Mon 24-Nov-14 10:04:29

I think often people just want to guarantee getting something and don't like getting involved in auctions then.

HolgerDanske Mon 24-Nov-14 10:08:39

If I were requesting it (and I have done on the odd occasion) it's because i was wanting to get it sorted earlier rather than later, either in case of needing it for a birthday or similar occasion, or possibly to avoid christmas mayhem in postal system/deliveries.

Usually I'm happy to bid and wait but sometimes I just need it sorted and will happily pay what the seller thinks is fair for a BiN price.

But there's no reason to feel pressured. If you don't want to, just don't do it.

NorbertDentressangle Mon 24-Nov-14 10:11:53

The cynic in me says that they're probably trying to pressure you into selling it cheaper and then hoping that if they stick it on ebay for much more, nearer to Xmas they'll make a profit.

If you've got lots of watchers I wouldn't do a BIN

Blossomy14 Mon 24-Nov-14 10:14:33

not all folk asking for a BIN are trying to rip you off - some people can't be bothered with auctions. I have asked for BIN prices before just to secure an item at a sensible price or to get it in time for something. We aren't all trying to con sellers. Some of us are busy and can't always be around to bid at the end of an auction.

Why don't you add a very high BIN with best offer and see if anyone buys it.

HolgerDanske Mon 24-Nov-14 10:21:52

I think you just have to decide what's right for you. If you need or want the money and want to wait to see how it sells and hopefully make more, then of course you're within your rights to stick to auction and wait and see. Don't let people pressure you - it's your listing!

On the other hand if you're happy to let it go for a price that you're satisfied with, then both you and the requester benefit so what does it matter whether there's a risk that the buyer is secretly going to sell it on? It won't make any difference to you...

I always expect to pay a fair bit above the starting price if I request a BIN.

mollypollly Mon 24-Nov-14 11:02:21

Hi OP,
I use ebay a lot - both to buy and sell. The main reasons why I would ask for a buy it now are 1. I just want to get it sorted sooner (for occasion/general impatience); 2. It is a popular item and I am worried that the seller will do a buy it now for someone else (this is probably the reason i do it most often to be honest, in this instance I'm not that bothered if the seller will to BIN for me, but i feel reassured that I will get to bid if they tell me they aren't considering BIN offers as I know they won't sell it to someone else); 3. I think I can get it a bit cheaper (rarely, but i can think of one or two occasions when I've done this)
I have also accepted / rejected BIN offers as a seller many times... I accept if someone makes me a great offer that's more than I was hoping for, or if there hasn't been that much interest in the item.
It sounds as though you have a very popular item there, and have a lot of interest - so I would leave it to go to auction; people (myself included!) often find themselves bidding more than they would offer for BIN as the fenzy sets in (esp with xmas round the corner!)
Good luck and I hope you get a good price for it! x

EmilyGilmore Mon 24-Nov-14 11:18:59

Thanks for the advice folks - they've started bidding so I'm going to watch this space I think...

Presumably once bids start you can't add BIN anyway?

HolgerDanske Mon 24-Nov-14 11:35:58

Yes that's correct, once bidding has started it's auction only.

Blossomy14 Mon 24-Nov-14 11:36:31

no - you can cancel bids if you want and change to a BIN.

HolgerDanske Mon 24-Nov-14 11:41:36

Oh really? Ach that's another ebay thing I don't know anything about then! Maybe I should stop giving advice.....

Anyway, did it used to be that once it had gone to auction it couldn't be cancelled or have I made that up?

Blossomy14 Mon 24-Nov-14 11:47:50

if there are 12 hours left or more yes you can end or change an auction.

cricketpitch Mon 24-Nov-14 16:50:29

I have been offered BiN twice and on both occasions accepted. buyers said they wanted it for a) Christmas and b) a move to a new school in September. In both cases the price was about what I expected/hoped for and they were very large collection only items that I was happy to have off the premises asap so it worked well.

glammanana Tue 25-Nov-14 12:24:06

With buy it now the price would have to be 40% more than what you have listed it at if I'm correct (open to correction) I've always been glad to accept BIN as it gets the item off my hands and into the post asap.good luck with your sale.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now