Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Non-Paying

(14 Posts)
Nanny0gg Thu 20-Nov-14 15:35:38

Me again...

What's the etiquette when someone hasn't paid?

Sold on the 17th, I sent an invoice on the 19th. Still nothing (but that could change this evening of course).

Would you send a polite email before opening a case? It's a reasonable amount of money and the item has to go special delivery so I'd like to get it gone.

Blossomy14 Thu 20-Nov-14 16:20:04

no I would just open a case

Nanny0gg Sat 22-Nov-14 10:48:58

One further question - if the case is closed in my favour (I'm assuming she doesn't want to spend the money, that's why she's not paid) I assume I can't give feedback?
Is it just that Ebay will keep a note of how many Unpaids she has?

fairisledog Sat 22-Nov-14 14:16:52

I'd send a polite e-mail but wait up to a week myself before opening a case if there's been no reply to my chase up communication.

People have busy lives, place a bid and then forget to check, particularly if it's something they would buy but are not desperate for.

I'm not sure why you are assuming she doesn't want to spend the money, she did bid in the first place which indicates a willingness to buy your item at that price.

Keeping buyers sweet even though they've taken a while to pay can pay dividends in good feedback and higher star ratings which in turn leads to an "above standard" seller rating and more invites to participate in free listing offers.

Nanny0gg Sat 22-Nov-14 14:19:56

I appreciate that people have busy lives but it's been nearly a week and it's a reasonable amount of money.

If you bid you are making a commitment and looking at her profile she's been pretty active recently.

I would have no issue if she had a problem and wanted to cancel, but she's not communicated at all. In an auction, I think that's a problem.

Blossomy14 Sat 22-Nov-14 14:22:39

why wait a week? Get your case open, gives another 4 days to pay. And yes once closed they do get a strike

nauticant Sat 22-Nov-14 17:06:04

It looks like I'm mid-range. After 2 days I send an invoice and then after a day or two I send a reminder and say I'll be opening a case the following day (morning/afternoon/evening as appropriate) unless payment is made. But it's whatever suits your personal style really.

Nanny0gg Sun 23-Nov-14 09:51:56

That sounds like a good plan.

However, she has now paid (still no direct communication!).

Why is it, sometimes when you click on Print Postage Label to get their address, it takes you to Paypal, and sometimes it's Ebay?

Also, I take it if I give honest feedback (about comms) I stand the risk of her giving me a poor feedback?

Blossomy14 Sun 23-Nov-14 11:40:25

you are not allowed to leave a neg statement for a buyer - against the rules. If you had opened a non payer case it would have been shut by now. And you will prob find Hermes is cheaper than RM tbh.

fairisledog Sun 23-Nov-14 12:47:04

There you go...buyer paid within a week

I stand by my giving them a week to settle up before opening a non-paying bidder case if they don't communicate some reason for not having paid yet.

Less stress/hassle as it's rare for buyers not to have paid within a week.

Anyone else get an invite to accept 100 free listings from this weekend until Friday the 28th ?

Blossomy14 Sun 23-Nov-14 13:33:19

waiting a week for a buyer to not pay is not good economics is it? What if you wait a week then open a case, close in 4 days but then too late to relist? Could lose a sale entirely if the item is time sensitive. Not really good business sense is it?

Nanny0gg Sun 23-Nov-14 14:44:32

Can't use Hermes this time and I agree with Blossomy. I'm not 'professional', but I'm selling because the money is needed now, not when the buyer can be @rsed to pay. And if Ebay say you can open a case after 2 days they must agree. I'll just not leave any feedback then. It wouldn't have been bad, just 'very' neutral.

And yes, I've got the free listings!

fairisledog Sun 23-Nov-14 15:08:48

Fair enough if you're desperate for the cash, it must be very nerve wracking having sold and not yet got the cash in your hand (or should that be paypal account) and wondering if it's coming today etc.

I'm just a clutter clearing /kids old clothes type seller and letting the money build up in the paypal account. I got annoyed initially when I started selling and people didn't pay quickly but I've chilled a bit since then and don't bother packing/paying for a myhermes delivery label until they have. They just won't get the item until they have coughed up and the cheeky sod who complained that I didn't post the very day he paid after waiting a full week got suitable feedback plus e-bay removed his low stars for delivery time rating.

It would be good if sellers could rate buyers with a promptness of payment star rating too. I cancelled someone's bid once when their feedback history showed that they had form for not paying at all for some items.

Yay for free listings !

Blossomy14 Sun 23-Nov-14 17:53:04

it is nothing to do with being desperate for cash and everything to do with buyers messing sellers around and wasting their time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now