Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buyer claims they are unable to pay for a low value item for a week - can I relist?

(9 Posts)
ZuleikaJambiere Mon 17-Nov-14 22:39:32

Last Thursday I sold a very low value item (less than £3 inc postage, I listed as I was doing a load of other baby stuff). I sent a payment reminder yesterday and today sent a message asking if they could pay tomorrow as I'm going to the post office on Wednesday.

I received an immediate email asking if they could pay on Friday,as their account has no money in it til then. I realise they really may not have under £3 and some families are living on margins that tight, so I'm trying to be sympathetic. But to be honest, I just want to ship it out along with the rest of my sold items. Can I say sorry, I'm not waiting and relist?

inabeautifulplace Mon 17-Nov-14 22:43:19

Post it on Wednesday and trust them to pay?

Finbar Mon 17-Nov-14 22:59:33

I feel your pain. This is happening more and more on eBay. And it's annoying. No matter what the bidder's financial situation- if they haven't got the money/ not prepared to pay, they just shouldn't bid.
Sorry, not very helpful I know. I just wanted to share your frustration.

bloodyteenagers Mon 17-Nov-14 23:12:32

I wouldn't post it without them paying. They don't pay then op will be out of pocket for the item, plus all the fees, and who is to say that paypal or ebay will get involved. Rightfully they will say tough.
They could have quiet easily contacted the op well before now to mention about paying on Friday. They could have contacted the op before bidding to find out if this would be fine. But no. They just think of themselves, forgetting that a lot of people sell things on ebay because they need cash quickly.

ZuleikaJambiere Mon 17-Nov-14 23:26:38

Thanks for sharing the frustration Finbar, my sentiments entirely on the not bidding (and it's not an essential item, it's a babies headband that my dd never wore, so the baby they were buying it for will live without it).
I pointed out I'd waited beyond 2 days and could have opened an unpaid item case on Saturday, and was asked if I could take 2 instalments. I decided no, and that I wasn't posting on trust, so they've backed out. Which at least means I can find another buyer. Grrr. That's 30 minutes of back and forth messaging time I won't get back

Chrissy41 Tue 18-Nov-14 09:12:53

no don't post before payment and do not relist - you need to file an unpaid case now then wait 4 days to close it. Only then can you relist.

GritStrength Tue 18-Nov-14 09:16:56

Two installments? For a �3 headband? Blimey.

ZuleikaJambiere Tue 18-Nov-14 21:52:56

I've opened the unpaid item case and had a (nother) message requesting I cancel the transaction rather than proceed with the case. I've given up engaging, the case rather than cancelling was deliberate!

Chrissy41 Tue 18-Nov-14 22:32:45

you are right - and if you send her a cancellation and she refuses she can neg and you won't get your fees back.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: