Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Grrr... my item has been bought by an overseas buyer!

(6 Posts)
EagleRay Mon 17-Nov-14 21:48:27

Hi - sorry I know this has probably been asked countless times before but trying to get my parcels from yesterday's sales done before I go to bed.

I've just sold something on Ebay for £9.99 and was rather taken aback to find it was a bidder from the USA (they messaged me almost immediately to ask for a shipping quote!). It's fairly small (about the size of a t-shirt) and my initial thought was to cancel the sale but then thought I would look into postage. Iv'e just done this and got as far as customs forms and I'm glazing over.

Is it reasonable to cancel the sale and say no to the buyer? My listing says 'posts to United Kingdom' and that's it. I just can't bear the hassle and frankly I'm a little puzzled as to why they would buy something from the UK that must be widely available in the states confused

PoppyWearer Mon 17-Nov-14 21:54:47

Ah now, isn't this because eBay now offer a service where you post to a UK address and they get it sent overseas?

I saw an email saying something like that anyway and had a weird mailing address today with a clearly-overseas buyer but a long reference number in the address and an address in Derbyshire?!

Hopefully someone will be along soon with a better idea.

EagleRay Tue 18-Nov-14 12:29:48

Thank you for responding - funnily enough, have double checked the message from the buyer and it is a uk address!

Lunastarfish Tue 18-Nov-14 12:34:22

As long as buyers are willing to pay I don't mind posting abroad. I do however always state in the listing for overseas buyers to contact me before bidding as it saves the hassle of having to cancel/report when they get stroppy about a £30 postage for a 99p item

sherbetpips Fri 21-Nov-14 12:50:04

I had this a while back and thought I was doomed, postage to netherlands. the buyer queried my postage price and said that she believed it could be sent for far less. I gave her the weight and dimensions of the item in the box and asked her to review. She agreed my postage was correct but then said could I not 'stuff it in a smaller jiffy bag'. She had paid �180 for a designer bag from me! I said I felt the bag would be damaged and for the sake of �10 it would be a shame to ruin it.
All of a sudden she agreed, paid and left a lovely review.

glammanana Fri 21-Nov-14 15:37:35

Looks like you have automatically been entered to GSP (Global Shipping Plan) you can opt out of it and just stay as you where before,thin you go via site preferences not too sure.
I opted out I like to know my items have been received sooner rather than later.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now