Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

What would you do here (FB selling....free delivery and 'customer' doesn't want)

(13 Posts)
alltoomuchrightnow Wed 12-Nov-14 18:35:31

I know i've moaned about FB selling before but I was willing to try it as a trial as eBay was annoying me.... (however this proves that it could be a case of better the devil you know....and eBay will probably win me back)

I've started trying to sell on FB selling sites ....I live out in the sticks so offer to deliver locally. Only sold two things so far (and I do have good stuff.. BNWT clothes at v low prices, etc etc)
Today was meant to do two drop offs. One was a bargainous two BNWT party dresses for a tenner..but would be buyer told me they'd have to hold as lost their bank card . Fairy nuff.
Other item.. I did an 8-9 mile round trip drop off for a £7 item, also BNWT. Took ages for a short journey... lots of traffic as she specifically wanted a 5pm ish drop off.
Label is Next Petite 14. Was hoping to just drop it off and be handed money, but lady wanted to try it on (obviously I was happy for her to inspect it first, but didn't know i'd have to wait for a try on). She then decides it's more a Petite large 12.. so she doesn't want it (but this lady looked more a petite 16 to me) Anyway she didn't want it.... so that was that and off I went, taking it with me :-(

alltoomuchrightnow Wed 12-Nov-14 18:35:52

So I took it home with me and that was that
What is the etiquette here ? what would you do? On eBay I don't do refunds , unless Ive made a big error. i always say they can use my photos and listing text and relist it. It's harder when face to face with actual person, to refuse! I was nice about it because I don't want anyone slagging me off on the sites, but am I a total mug? Should I have asked her to keep it and resell it?
It's not like I can afford this.. I lost my job and it takes every penny of my JSA to run my car, as i'm going to need it for work (obviously no potential buyers know this... of course i wouldn't expect it to be their concern)

alltoomuchrightnow Wed 12-Nov-14 18:37:11

but i can't afford to run a mobile clothes fitting service at the risk of people not wanting ! and yes i do realise brands and sizes vary hugely. but i take that risk as an eBay buyer myself (which is why i always ask for measurements first) Trouble is that i can list measurements (and usually do) but doesnt mean people will compare them to a garment they already own...

alltoomuchrightnow Wed 12-Nov-14 18:37:52

she did apologise me having driven out there.. she was nice enough about this which is why i took it away...but i can't have this keep happening

RevealTheHiddenBeach Wed 12-Nov-14 18:40:40

I would say stop offering delivery, or only offer for a definite buy of full asking price. I've done that before whilst selling on gumtree - said I will deliver if asking price definitely paid. That way you haven't paid petrol unless you're definitely getting the asked price.

KillmeNow Wed 12-Nov-14 18:41:50

On our local sites an offer to deliver is always accompanied with the price for fuel. If you deliver but the buyer doesnt pay for the item they still have to pay for the fuel.

alltoomuchrightnow Wed 12-Nov-14 18:53:24

yes i think i will word it like that, Reveal. They have to take chance..i do as a buyer

alltoomuchrightnow Wed 12-Nov-14 18:54:18

and it's also wasting time as well as money. for that short trip it took a lot out of my time cos of the traffic

PartyFops Wed 12-Nov-14 19:01:19

I would say offer collection only, or postage. Sorry, you have learnt the hard way that people can be idiots.

alltoomuchrightnow Wed 12-Nov-14 19:06:21

no one will do collection only. I'm too out in the sticks ... and it's hard to find too. Every person who has expressed interest in my stuff (and there's been lots) have said they don't drive. No public transport either. Guess I'm going to have to stop FB selling unless it's stuff with a good price to make it worth while.. not like £5 or so items

Chrissy41 Wed 12-Nov-14 23:04:34

I agree - stop delivering or take the hit and go back to eBay.

Viviennemary Wed 12-Nov-14 23:11:42

I agree go back to ebay. It can't be any worse than this messing about. You're not offering a high class couture fitting service for £7 a garment. Some folk!

alltoomuchrightnow Thu 13-Nov-14 15:09:13

yep!!!! Hello again eBay. and the girl saying she'd lost her bank card...she's totally disappeared.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now