Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Does this sound dodgy to you?

(10 Posts)
IAmACircle Sun 09-Nov-14 13:18:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Drquin Sun 09-Nov-14 13:21:04

Possibly is a dodgy tactic.
But depends what it is - how much you wanted / needed it - and how likely you are to find another one?

Floundering Sun 09-Nov-14 13:21:48

Could be , lots of it about, what's the sellers history / feedback.

As long as you get your item for a good price it shouldn't impact on you but be careful to examine the product carefully when you get it & pay by paypal.

insanityscratching Sun 09-Nov-14 13:26:08

I had exactly the same experience last week, had a feeling it was dodgy and so turned down the second chance offer. Have a feeling it was just the seller's way of getting a decent price as the price shot up 50% in the last few seconds. I would have been happy to pay my maximum bid but felt that it had been fixed tbh.

Chrissy41 Sun 09-Nov-14 14:03:45

has the highest bidder bid on any of the sellers' other items?

IAmACircle Sun 09-Nov-14 14:23:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nauticant Sun 09-Nov-14 16:03:10

that the other bidder never existed (there were no bids until 5 mins before the auction ended and it was a very good price)

the price shot up 50% in the last few seconds

This kind of behaviour is common on popular items and is no indication of mischief. However, my view is that I go with my gut feeling as a buyer or as a seller and back out when I'm not completely happy.

insanityscratching Sun 09-Nov-14 18:57:34

nauticant it wasn't only that the price shot up it was more that within 30 minutes seller was offering a second chance offer as she "was having trouble getting buyer to pay" I would have thought that if buyer wasn't going to pay then it would have been two or three days before seller became aware there was a problem rather than a buyer bidding just minutes before and then choosing immediately that they didn't want to pay.

Chrissy41 Sun 09-Nov-14 19:04:02

I would smell a rat if that happened to me. When you click on bid history you can see how many other items this bidder has bid on from that same seller btw. If they bid on 100% of their items then they are certainly shill bidding and can be reported as such.

nickstmoritz Mon 10-Nov-14 09:24:03

Just thought I would say that I sold an item last week and the highest bidder contacted me within 5 minutes to pull out of the sale. They had won at £1 more than previous bidder. I offered second chance and heard nothing then tried next down and heard nothing. I have re listed item. Some second chance offers are genuine - the seller has been messed about and is offering the other people a chance to win the item at the price they bid. I was rather disappointed that neither 2nd chance bidder replied even if they didn't actually buy.

It may be a ploy to up the bids but worth checking out fb etc as it may be a genuine chance to win the item? Agree it may be worth checking out bid history if that is possible. For a seller who has been messed around a 2nd chance offer can save the hassle of re listing/getting fvfs back etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now