Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

how can you post vouchers that you sell with insurance?

(11 Posts)
lostinspace2014 Sun 02-Nov-14 07:36:40

I have sold nearly £60 of vouchers. I am now looking to post them but it looks really difficult to insure them. None of the couriers I have looked at will take them (e.g. hermes - you can insure up to £250 buy not money or vouchers) and royal mail want £6.40 minimum for a letter. Does anyone have any idea of something cheaper? Thanks very much

FishWithABicycle Sun 02-Nov-14 07:54:24

Royal mail 2nd class signed-for is covered for £50 excluding cash and costs £1.60 for a letter. I'd go for that and in the unlikely event of a claim you only lose the difference between the value and £50 which is probably bearable.

lostinspace2014 Sun 02-Nov-14 08:24:39

Does it cover vouchers? I don't think so. Will go and double check again.

lostinspace2014 Sun 02-Nov-14 08:30:21

Just checked unfortunately recorded does not cover vouchers/gift cards:

The Royal Mail definition of money includes:
• coins & Bank notes of any currency which are legal tender at the time of posting;
• postal orders, cheques and dividend warrants uncrossed and payable to bearer;
• unused postage and revenue stamps and National Insurance stamps; Exchequer bills, bills of exchange, promissory notes and credit notes; Bonds, bond coupons and any other investment certificates; and
• coupons, vouchers, tokens, cards, stamps and other documents which can be exchanged in whole or in part for money, goods or services.

LaurieFairyCake Sun 02-Nov-14 08:31:35

That last bit says it covers vouchers when exchanged for goods and services

I think you're finr

Chrissy41 Sun 02-Nov-14 10:04:09

try special delivery or a courier like Hermes?

lostinspace2014 Sun 02-Nov-14 20:56:09

yes special delivery is £7 though and the couriers don't do it. sad

Chrissy41 Sun 02-Nov-14 21:03:16

all you can do is send special delivery then. How much p&p did you charge them?

lostinspace2014 Sun 02-Nov-14 21:40:54

not much - you can't really charge £7 plus ebay commission and pay pal costs (i,e actual cost £8.50 ish ) to send less than £60 vouchers I think. Never mind.

Chrissy41 Sun 02-Nov-14 22:50:18

so you will just have to absorb that cost ad pay it yourself - you can't charge extra for p&p after the auction has ended.

FamiliesShareGerms Mon 03-Nov-14 10:50:27

Laurie - the T&Cs are intended to cover situations where you buy something from a shop and have to send the vouchers as payment, not where you have sold them on

I don't think any courier insurance covers cash or vouchers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now