Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

55 views, no watchers or bids?

(22 Posts)
Bewooohooove Fri 31-Oct-14 09:13:35

I've listed a pretty Coast silk dress, I don't think I've overpriced it but 55 people have clicked with no watchers or bids?

lljkk Fri 31-Oct-14 09:20:30

Probably over-priced for the quality, also people prefer buy-it-now so sometimes best to relist a few times, on 30 day BINS to avoid hassle of not knowing if they'll win an auction, but starting with the max price you hope to get & reducing BIN price each time you relist.

I've had 30+ watchers & no bids; or 250+ views & 25+ watchers with no bids.

nickstmoritz Fri 31-Oct-14 10:26:55

For some reason Coast does not seem to attract huge interest on ebay. The clothes are really nice quality but it is just not a brand that seems to go mad. Take a look at similar dresses on the sold items search then either start auction at the absolute min you can bear to sell for or as lljkk says list as a BIN and relist if necessary if you are not in a rush to get rid. I am sure there are exceptions and people will say their Coast dress went for a great price but just in my experience Coast things that I thought would be good sellers have not attracted watchers/bidders. For example I was selling a Coast skirt BNWT original price £99 and it didn't sell -no watchers or particular interest and it was only on for £24. I will relist as a BIN again and might drop the price a bit.

Ffeyone Fri 31-Oct-14 12:34:27

I've tried selling coast dresses but gave up after two like new dresses went for £5 each, It wasn't worth the hassle for that much.....

Fairylea Fri 31-Oct-14 12:37:28

What's your starting price? If the price is too high no one will watch it at all.

Chrissy41 Fri 31-Oct-14 13:19:25

If it is auction do buy it now with best offer - far less risky than an auction.

Also is it summer/winter style - good photos, competitive postage, ends at right time of day, good feedback, other sellers have same style with lower price etc?

Chrissy41 Fri 31-Oct-14 13:23:20

and if yours is one of those listed which only gets proof of postage from RM or refuses returns please amend the auction asap - both of these are wrong. You need to send with courier or special delivery. Try Hermes - only £3 and full tracking.

Bewooohooove Fri 31-Oct-14 16:36:11

Thanks for the tips everyone. I thought a Coast pure silk dress would have been sure to go, particularly with the party season coming up. Weird how some things don't catch on.

Bewooohooove Fri 31-Oct-14 16:37:52

P.s Chrissy

I post using RM 'signed for delivery', is that no good? I didn't realise Hermes were so cheap though I must look into that.

Chrissy41 Fri 31-Oct-14 17:48:07

no it isn't - it won't be adequate insurance for a £55 item and the postie doesn't bother getting a signature for loads of items leaving you wide open to a buyer claiming not received. Hermes is much better in my experience - plus they can collect from you.

Which item is it?

nickstmoritz Fri 31-Oct-14 20:35:21

Hermes is too slow in my opinion. I use RM 1st signed for in most cases. Many buyers like to get item the day after buying. I would use Hermes for bulkier items though after checking buyer will be happy with delivery time.

nickstmoritz Fri 31-Oct-14 20:37:59

Funny how some makes just don't seem to attract buyers - You would think a Coast silk dress would be great for a party. Boden doesn't go as high for some items as it used to either.

Bewooohooove Fri 31-Oct-14 21:00:54

Oh dear, dare I post it here, chrissy? You might all think my pics and pricing are crap worries

Bewooohooove Fri 31-Oct-14 21:13:30

Be kind please
my listing

lljkk Fri 31-Oct-14 21:25:46

okay, in nicest way:

the main picture is just a label, doesn't sell it at all! Can you get a better first picture in there? And you need way more pictures, including one that is all the dress (crop it to get rid of door surround).

Do a full picture of the back not just the front. A full picture of model wearing it (crop head out) would help, too.

Most items look better on white backgrounds & Cassini (search engine that Ebay uses) prefers pictures on White backgrounds.

Will give more f/back in a mo.

Chrissy41 Fri 31-Oct-14 21:28:31

ok - well photos could be much better. Plain background, straight on, full frame of the whole item. Close ups as extra yes, but the main pic needs to be zoomed right in and full of the whole dress, not the rest of the room/door. Your photos do not do it justice. Have you got a nice wooden hanger instead of a plastic one? Just hang it on a picture hook infront of a plain wall if you don't have a dummy. And lots of measurements too.

This is a much better pic - see the difference. Plain background & zoomed in. You don't need a photo of the surroundings, potential buyers just want to see the item.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Coast-Wedding-Evening-Strapless-Designer-Dress-Size-UK-8-EU-36-/261634280571?pt=UK_Women_s_Dresses&hash=item3cea9e4c7b

And that light fitting you are selling - many carriers will not cover you for breakages against glass so you will need to investigate that. And the pic of the boots with the grip hanger - I would worry those grips would have damaged the boots so I wouldn't bid on them - sorry.

And remove the no returns - worthless and makes you look obstructive.

And never ever end auction listings during the day - 8-9pm Mon & Tues nights is best. You can schedule for free now. During the day ending is pointless. If I were you I would amend your listings to buy it now with best offer, use Hermes and get much better photos.

Also all your postage costs are v erratic - some ok but others too much. If items are under 1kg you can send tracked for £2.98 with Hermes. And please use your own pics not generic ones (especially for the main photo).

And Hermes takes 4-5 days - why pay for RM signed for, it isn't quicker if they don't bother getting a sig and the buyer claims they didn't receive it. Plus it doesn't offer enough insurance does it?

lljkk Fri 31-Oct-14 21:29:34

I like details in listings in a neat list of bullet points.

I want measurements in cm or inches for EVERYTHING. Drop from shoulder to front hem and back hem, distance across bust (stretched & unstretched), distance around the hips.

Saying it's just above knee is pointless to short or very tall people.

No point in saying "No returns".

Cassini also favours inclusive postage, some say.

You only have 9 f/back score which might put some folk off (very few, but some). Nothing you can do about that.

Bewooohooove Fri 31-Oct-14 21:31:51

Oh dear blush
I only started selling last week as you can probably tell.

Goes to find camera.....

lljkk Fri 31-Oct-14 21:38:02

You said it comes up small but you put it down as size 16, maybe put it as size 14 in the listing details.

Main Colour is "Softly gathered to side": I don't understand that. Shouldn't it just be "brown"?

The average used Coast silk dress size 14 or 16 sold for about 19 quid with postage in last 6 months. approx. 75th percentile sale price about 32 quid with postage. So, probably overpriced, as I guessed.

MNers get really het up about how to post things!

lljkk Fri 31-Oct-14 21:41:23

Women's clothing, esp. used items, is considered the hardest & most competitive most troublesome buyers to deal with category on Ebay, do not feel bad. I notice many items on mannequins, they look good for it if you could get a mannequin.

Another small tip: try hard to avoid any listing fees but with low F/back you won't get so many free listing offers. Still, if you can avoid fees then you can take your time experimenting with what is a successful listing & find your own best postage methods, etc.

ismellonehugerat Fri 31-Oct-14 22:31:43

Agree with other comments about photos.

Also, you could improve your title. This is what people search on, so beautiful and flattering style are a waste of time. Add the colour and something along the lines of Christmas party dress. Good advice here... www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/selling-on-ebay

It's very much a buyer's market on eBay and prices are very hit and miss. I'd be surprised if you get more than £20 for that dress. I bought a beautiful Coast dress in a charity shop for £20 the other week but it really is wow factor. I start most of my auctions at 99p. Sell a lot of things for pennies but every now and again I do well.

Chrissy41 Fri 31-Oct-14 22:34:42

ever ever start at 99p though - there is no reason now listing is free. Start at the lowest price you are willing to accept.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now