Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Is this a scam?

(25 Posts)
MoreSnowPlease Tue 28-Oct-14 11:31:50

Anyone know of a scam involving buyers requesting to "buy it now" early on an auction item?

Ebay seems to be full of scammers and we have fallen for a few lately so don't want to do so anymore!

Aridane Tue 28-Oct-14 12:44:10

I have heard of 'buy it now' scams being operated by sellers (though not by buyers). I had naively assumed that a buyer wanting to 'buy it now' for an auction item just wanted to guarantee getting a particularly wanted item...

Aridane Tue 28-Oct-14 12:50:15

Discussion boards on eBay don't seem to regard a buyer offering to buy it now (as opposed to a seller offering it) as being a form of scam -

community.ebay.com/t5/Archive-Selling/lowball-buy-it-now-offer-scam/td-p/3123951

Chopstheduck Tue 28-Oct-14 12:56:07

It's not really a scam.

A buyer sees an item, would like the item sooner and guarantee he wins it. They offer a buy it now price, you can decide whether or not to accept it.

Some buyers offer a buy it now on a collection item, and pay cash on collection, and the seller can then end the auction and avoid the seller fees. This is against ebay rules.

If you want to sell at the price offered, you can edit your listing to add the BIN option and sell.

ArtyBat Tue 28-Oct-14 13:17:55

Before I buy anything on ebay I always check the sellers feedback. This way I've managed to avoid any problems.If I don't like what I read, then I don't use the seller.
One or two negative feedbacks can happen to anyone, but when they run into multiples of ten, then there's a problem.

Chrissy41 Tue 28-Oct-14 13:39:16

no not a scam - entirely up to you whether you add a BIN or leave auction to run.

MoreSnowPlease Tue 28-Oct-14 19:36:31

Ok thanks everyone. It's not the sellers that are the problem for us artybat but the scam buyers and ebay's stupid protection for them!

Chrissy41 Tue 28-Oct-14 19:48:48

why is it stupid?

If you send tracked and describe correctly it shouldn't be a problem should it?

MoreSnowPlease Wed 29-Oct-14 09:01:30

We sent tracked and the royal mail didn't track it because new staff at the post office didn't mark it to be tracked....we had proof or postage and proof that we paid for it to be tracked but the buyer "didn't receive it" so we are £300 out of pocket. 2nd time someone "didn't receive parcel" but the first time we had proof of delivery and when they knew that it miraculously turned up!

Chrissy41 Wed 29-Oct-14 10:38:01

which is why I don't use RM any more. Did you send it special delivery with full insurance or just standard signed for?

Petallic Wed 29-Oct-14 10:39:59

If you paid for it to be tracked and have your proof of postage don't you just claim your loss from RM?

Chrissy41 Wed 29-Oct-14 12:32:23

not if you only send standard signed for which will not cover for a £300 item - it needs to be adequately insured - so Special Delivery or courier with extra to cover the higher value item.

MoreSnowPlease Wed 29-Oct-14 13:35:47

Like crissy says we can't claim from RM because it wasn't insured..really it's post office fault ratger than RM. I doubt it actually didn't turn up so it's the bew staff fault for not sending it as tracked. Looking into this as essentially they didn't provide the service we paid firtso insurance shouldn't even come into it.

Chrissy41 Wed 29-Oct-14 13:41:37

Did you tell them it was worth £300 when you bought the postage at the counter?

MoreSnowPlease Wed 29-Oct-14 19:01:05

Nope, , didn'tbuy it at the counter, bought it online I assume through ebay or RM or something but my partner did it

Chrissy41 Wed 29-Oct-14 19:06:51

so that would have been his responsibility to ensure it was adequately insured then?

MoreSnowPlease Wed 29-Oct-14 21:12:28

Yep. But if the parcel had been tracked delivery then we would not have been scammed. Or if ebay would take proof of postage as proof we were not scamming the buyer.

Chrissy41 Wed 29-Oct-14 22:40:17

but you didn't insure it sufficiently for loss? So you can't claim £300 from RM if you didn't insure it for that value can you?

MoreSnowPlease Thu 30-Oct-14 07:35:11

But I don't think it was lost and the post office didn't provide the service I paid for. No intention of claiming from rm as they provided the service the post office told them to as far as I know. If the post office had provided a tracking number as paid for then I would know it wasn't lost and would have money from the buyer

Chrissy41 Thu 30-Oct-14 08:21:25

sorry but you have to insure adequately and sending a £300 item standard signed for was never going to end well. So now you are out of pocket for that amount. This is why I only use Hermes.

glammanana Thu 30-Oct-14 13:32:34

Chrissy41 So right its Hermes all the way for me, never lost or had a parcel damaged in 2 yrs of use,the chap calls and collects if I am busy and I have the collection receipt in my hand right away.I know some people have had problems and slate them but I have got soeak as I find and they have served me well.

MoreSnowPlease Sat 01-Nov-14 20:42:33

Yes you're right we should have insured adequately but just saying that if it had been sent tracked as we had paid for then insurance wouldn't come into it.

Chrissy41 Sat 01-Nov-14 21:12:47

no because if you had insured it properly with the post office it would have been special delivery - which always tracks throughout. And if it hadn't you could have claimed from them for the full amount, not just £50 which is all standard signed for covers you for.

MoreSnowPlease Sun 02-Nov-14 08:18:34

What I mean is that if it was tracked then we couldn't have been scammed. So we wouldn't be out if pocket.

Obviously if the parcel had actually been lost then we should be out of pocket because that's where insurance comes into it. Tbh though I shouldn't have to be insuring a service I have paid for like this and will be using hermes from now on.

Chrissy41 Sun 02-Nov-14 10:06:11

but how do you know it wasn't lost?? Have you got proof that the buyer did receive it? You are making assumptions they have had it and you really have no evidence.

The fact remains you didn't insure correctly - you can't blame the fact it didn't track on you not covering yourself properly. And of course you should insure for what the item is worth - that is the whole point.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now