Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Have my proof of postage - am I still responsible?

(18 Posts)
50ShadesofXmas Tue 18-Mar-14 17:47:47

A case has been opened against me, that the item hasn't been received, I have my proof of postage, I have offered to send him a photo of it via email.

Am I still responsible? As far as I'm concerned, it's left my hands and I have the proof of that.

Can someone please advise who is right? I'm panicking!

K8Middleton Tue 18-Mar-14 17:51:04

Your job is to deliver the item. If it has not arrived you refund the buyer and claim from Royal Mail/courier.

You don't get to wash your hands of responsibility at the post office I'm afraid.

How long has it been?

LavenderGreen14 Tue 18-Mar-14 17:54:21

you need online proof of delivery - proof of postage is only for you to claim for the loss, you need to refund the buyer in full and claim with RM. An item isn't considered lost for 15 working days though (3 weeks).

50ShadesofXmas Wed 19-Mar-14 07:28:41

It was posted on the 4th march, 2nd class so I wouldn't have a proof of delivery. I will reimburse the buyer and claim from Royal Mail though.

Thank you.

compsognathus Wed 19-Mar-14 09:59:42

Of course you're still responsible. Why would you think otherwise. Ebay will certainly find in the buyer's favour. So taking that attitude (I'm sure you wouldn't) will only land you with negative feedback.

compsognathus Wed 19-Mar-14 10:01:18

And a photo of the proof of posting isn't much use to the buyer when they haven't received an item. You need to claim not them. You're very much in the wrong.

nauticant Wed 19-Mar-14 11:23:10

Have you missed the bit where the poster says I will reimburse the buyer and claim from Royal Mail and then thanks the posters who've contributed compsognathus?

compsognathus Wed 19-Mar-14 11:34:52

No, nauticant. I just tire of this attitude, displayed in the OP, from some ebay sellers.

compsognathus Wed 19-Mar-14 11:46:51

Perhaps I'm projecting. I had a similar experience with a case I've just opened, details eerily similar to the above (item posted on 4th, allegedly), seller claiming no responsibility as has proof of posting and it's left their hands, and offered photo.
But my seller has still not refunded and instead abused the positive feedback system, leaving a negative comment.

nauticant Wed 19-Mar-14 12:17:46

I feel your pain. Although you should be able to straighten things out, it does take time and because it's all so unnecessary it's stupidly wearing.

Millyblods Wed 19-Mar-14 15:44:11

The chap at the post office told me that the best thing to do is to pay extra and make sure you get a signature upon the buyer receiving it...just in case someone was not telling the truth about having received the item. Im guessing though that if the item is not received then and not signed for and not returned to me then I am still responsible for issuing a refund. Is this correct please? Thanks.

lizandlulu Wed 19-Mar-14 21:31:22

I had the same thing and to be honest, I just assumed my proof of postage was enough to take it out of my hands. I trusted royal mail to deliver it, not loose it. But eBay sided with the buyer, money got too out of my PayPal account, so I lost the item, the money I was paid and he postage.
I did claim off royal mail tho, not expecting to get anything. I did include copies of the eBay page showing sold amount, a copy of the message off eBay saying the end result, I think that's was about it.
Took about. 2 week but they reimbursed me.

lizandlulu Wed 19-Mar-14 21:32:09

Oh, eBay said proof of postage wasn't proof of delivery. Which in the past I had assumed it was. Everything now goes 2n class signed for to protect myself

lizandlulu Wed 19-Mar-14 21:33:58

And re the refund if a signed for item is not delivered, yes I expect ŷou would still have to refund, but would also expect a no questions asked refund from royal mail. Can't they track it when it's signed forZ. Or is that a different service altogether?

LavenderGreen14 Wed 19-Mar-14 22:26:50

signed for is only any use if the postie bothers to get a signature. I had 2 items today where he didn't get my signature. I could easily claim not received and get a full refund (I wouldn't) - but many folk would. The actual percentage of items which goes missing is very low indeed. But without online proof of delivery you will never know if your buyer is a liar or not.

Millyblods Wed 19-Mar-14 22:39:06

That's bad and the Postman could get into a lot of trouble and potentially lose his job for not getting signatures. When it has to be signed for its usually tracked as well and you can follow online.

LavenderGreen14 Wed 19-Mar-14 22:55:57

standard signed for isn't tracked on its journey - you just get a signature when it is delivered, special delivery is.

fevertrees Wed 19-Mar-14 23:47:51

Proof of posting doesn't mean it's out of your hands (just as from any online shop). Proof of delivery is safer.

Ebay will always, quite rightly, side with the buyer on matters of non receipt. I find it better to suck it up, apologise for any inconvenience, refund, then claim from Royal Mail. I think you can also get a strike if buyer needs to escalate after the eight day period and still hasn't received a refund or no solution agreed upon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now