Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Courier to collect a bulky pick-up only item?

(4 Posts)
Avienus Sat 15-Mar-14 10:40:27

I have accidentally won a leather sofa for £6.27. I made a low bid purely to keep an eye on it and wasn't expecting to actually win it!

Anyway, I have won it, which is nice but now I need to collect it.

I'm in East London, the sofa is in Petersfield. I reckon it'll cost me about £60 to hire a van, but would a courier be cheaper?

I am bewildered by the courier ads on Ebay - does anyone have any recommendations for companies who collect and deliver furniture?

DomesticSlobbess Sat 15-Mar-14 14:31:22

I don't know about couriers, but to keep an eye on an item you don't need to bid. Just click Watch and it'll be added to your Watch list.

HolidayCriminal Sat 15-Mar-14 14:38:32

There's a man with a van type sites (like this one) where drivers bid for your job. What you describe is 3-3.5 hours roundtrip (says google maps) & I imagine needs a BIG van, but I suspect someone would fetch it for £60 including petrol (but what about congestion charge?)

Eastpoint Sat 15-Mar-14 14:43:57

We looked into this recently & it was much cheaper to rent a van with a tail lift than hire a van with a man. I think the van with tail lift was about £49 +vat and we also hired a trolley & had to pay for our fuel. The cheapest quote we had for a man was £300 as he wanted money for both legs of the journey, plus fuel, plus mileage.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now