Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Copying other private sellers' desscription

(7 Posts)
boogiewoogie Sun 09-Mar-14 22:49:04

Is this okay or bad practice? Would it annoy you if someone had copied and pasted yours bar a few words to sell a similar item? Would you do anything about it if you weren't in direct competition?

boogiewoogie Sun 09-Mar-14 22:49:52

Okay, that should read "description" in the title.

LavenderGreen14 Sun 09-Mar-14 23:09:29

no it isn't allowed. You can report someone for stealing your pics or description and ebay will end the auction.

nickstmoritz Mon 10-Mar-14 00:10:07

You shouldn't really do it without asking permission. You are bound to have similar things in the description if you are selling same item but fiddle around to make it your own or you could end up with your listing removed.

boogiewoogie Mon 10-Mar-14 11:54:04

Ah Nick, what made you think that I was thinking of plagiarising someone else's description?

I have a collectable item on sale, and someone else is selling two variations of them and has literally copied and pasted my description in their listing including where the item came from and even the format of the listing. I was pretty indignant when I saw it tbh but I don't think it's worth reporting. It didn't sell and they have relisted it but if I report it, I'm pretty sure that they might do something to spite me like put a high fake bid on mine and not pay or something..

LavenderGreen14 Mon 10-Mar-14 12:10:38

You can report them and then add them to your blocked bidder list then they can't bid on your item.

nickstmoritz Mon 10-Mar-14 22:41:14

Sorry OP I read your post late at night after listing 100 items on ebay so just clocked the "is it ok?" bit.

You can politely message them to ask them to change their listing say it is against ebay rules for them to copy & paste yours and then block them as LG14 says.

They may not realise it's not the done thing so better for them that you tell them first.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now