Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Private listing. Bidder's identities protected

(6 Posts)
Jinty64 Fri 07-Mar-14 17:39:58

What does this mean? I bid on an item with a buy it now price and a minimum bid price. Mine was the only bid until 4 seconds before the end. The winning bidder was described as per my thread title. Is this likely to be another bidder or more likely the seller does not want to sell at the price?

Still trying to get my head round ebay.

PoirotsMoustache Fri 07-Mar-14 19:02:02

It is probably another bidder. Lots of people don't do anything other than watch until the last few seconds, where they then jump in and place the winning bid. All bidders have been anonymous for quite some time now, I'm not sure why. Possibly abusive messages from losing bidders? But, it is very likely to be another bidder. Otherwise you would either have been notified that you're the winning bidder, or that any reserve that may have been on the item hadn't been met.

LavenderGreen14 Fri 07-Mar-14 19:08:26

bidders are always private now - and the seller would have to use another account if they wanted to bid on their own item. Is probably just another bidder.

Most bidders bid in the last 10 seconds or less - bid once, bid as late as you want to and bid your highest.

Jinty64 Fri 07-Mar-14 19:25:31

Thank you. The opening bid was top of my budget so didn't want to go higher. Just curious really. I think I might be becoming addicted!

LavenderGreen14 Fri 07-Mar-14 19:33:48

just bid in the last few seconds, if you bid too early you always risk being outbid, plus an item with bids on always appears more interesting. Keep your cards close to your chest until the closing seconds I reckon.

Jinty64 Fri 07-Mar-14 20:46:11

That's what I started doing but I noticed quite a lot of things starting at 99p had 1 bid and wondered if people were bidding on items without a bid and if others would be less likely to bid if someone else was interested so started bidding early. Does that even make sense. I will stop spending money go back to my last minute bids!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now