Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Learner question about messages offering cash

(8 Posts)
AliBingo Thu 06-Mar-14 09:36:22

I have listed quite a big expensive item on Ebay, I had starting bid around £500 and BIN £800, within 10 minutes I had a bid and three messages offering £700 and £750 cash for the item.

How did the interested parties learn about my item so fast? I have saved searches set up but they only email me once a day about these rather than immediately that an item is listed.

I have now had about 10 more messages asking if I will accept X amount cash for the item - the latest this morning offered £1000! Item hasn't been up 48 hours yet.

I don't understand what they want, I can't see any way to legitimately sell for a cash price now, are they wanting me to end the auction early and sell to them outside of Ebay? Sorry if this is a stupid question!

I'd prefer to just let the auction run, as I have told all the enquirers so far - seems like the safest option?

Thanks!

LavenderGreen14 Thu 06-Mar-14 09:49:45

yes, you can end the auction early if you want to. You aren't supposed to sell outside ebay, but many do to avoid the whopping 10% final value fee. And if they are collecting then you would only take cash anyway - never paypal.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Thu 06-Mar-14 10:01:05

I would be suspicious, why would they offer £1000 when they could BIN at £800?

Do they have any feedback or are they newly registered?

pm me the item because I am nosy

ISeeYouShiverWithAntici Thu 06-Mar-14 10:02:50

if you google ebay scams, this sort of thing is quite common

for example

AliBingo Thu 06-Mar-14 10:10:29

Thanks for the replies. Because I got a bid for £550 straightaway, the BIN disappeared.

I have 259 feedbacks but haven't sold anything much in a while, I was shocked at the 10% FVF, didn't it used to be just 3%?! Seems very high now.

All the buyers that have contacted me have had high feedback (mostly more than me) which is partly why I was intrigued.

I don't want to reveal the item for privacy reasons but it's an 8 year old cooker that costs about £4k new according to Google (seems utterly crazy to me), I have no idea what it's worth which is why I thought letting the auction run might be the best bet (as well as the Ebay protection).

AliBingo Thu 06-Mar-14 10:12:53

Thanks for the Ebay scams link, very interesting reading.

I only just recently learned about the sense in taking cash not paypal for collection only items, Ebay is a minefield!

LavenderGreen14 Thu 06-Mar-14 10:20:21

well as long as they pay cash they may well be happy to pay £1K, if the BIN price had vanished then they may not have seen that. I don't think a cooker is much of a high scam risk tbh!

AliBingo Thu 06-Mar-14 10:32:29

Yeah I think you are right re scam risk. But they must think they can get it cheaper by offering cash I guess? I think I feel happier letting it find its own price via auction.

I was shocked at all the interest and cash offers, I have never sold anything this expensive before! usually more the £10 mark.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now