Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

when items don't sell

(6 Posts)
muser31 Fri 28-Feb-14 17:47:10

i am quite a new seller. some of the mistakes ive made are selling stuff in the wrong season, and putting things at 0.99 when i am not happy for them to be sold at 0.99 since they are worth far more. i also have various items that have not sold...can more experienced buyers tell me is it better to constantly relist untill they sell, or leave it a few months and then try again (perhaps feb is not the best month?) any tips would be great, thanks. haven't made very much at all, and silly me ends up buying instead!!

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Fri 28-Feb-14 17:58:05

Hmm, it is tough to know sometimes. I am a Business Seller. I sell swimwear mainly, but some other clothing items as and when. Yes, in general, you will do better selling a winter coat in October/November and a summer dress in May - but not always.

I have had several items that I've thought "I'll just relist it once more for luck" and it has sold. Things that have been on for months with no interest.

I have also had a bidding war for a fleece onesie - last July - when it was boiling hot! eBay is a funny animal, you just can't tell.

The one rule of selling though is do not set a start price that you would not be happy to accept. So do not go for 99p if you want £25. Yes, it will cost you more to list the item at £25 - but you will make more of a profit in the long run.

Lollypop1983 Fri 28-Feb-14 18:33:22

I've been in the same position. Made the mistake of starting at 0.99, when I thought I'd get more.

On the re listing thing, u never can tell when ur going to sell something. At the minute I'm try to get rid of some DVDs. Some of them sold the third time I relisted. Some I still have.

I have also sold a baby's snow suit in May, for a decent price, and one in oct for starting price. U never can tell on ebay.

At the minute, I'm constantly relishing things that I can for free. Anything else, I'll leave for a month or so and try again. I always try round about payday, when people have more money.

lljkk Fri 28-Feb-14 19:09:34

Wait for free listing days & list for the minimum you actually want to get.
My rule of thumb is to only do free-listing offers & up to a year of relisting. I imagine most people don't have patience for that, though.

muser31 Sat 01-Mar-14 06:07:13

thanks. i find it hard to know what i am being charged... it always says it is free to relist this item automatically! so up till now i have relisted most things.

muser31 Sat 01-Mar-14 07:43:27

just realised i sold a skirt last night, thats been on for 3 months. yippee! minimum price like (3.50), but still smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now