Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Could someone please talk me through 'collection only'?

(8 Posts)
AmIGoingMad Wed 26-Feb-14 15:59:43

Hi!

New ish to eBay but I'm pretty sorted on the normal posting things to buyers etc.

I've now got quite a few baby items to sell (car seat/base/ nursery decoration set etc) and the postage would be crazy I'd imagine. I've also never used couriers so thought that collection only could be a good option. I've never done it before.

Does anyone have a step by step how to for me?

Or any tips really!

Thanks in advance!

LilyBlossom14 Wed 26-Feb-14 16:23:13

you just write on the listing collection only and ask for cash only

yummystepford Wed 26-Feb-14 16:27:09

Try Facebook selling pages that are local to you. Make sure if you sell on eBay for them to collect you have cash only as if they pay through PayPal they can say you never delivered and get a refund as you would not have proof of purchase. I once sold a maclaren stroller decent bigger one and to have it picked up and delivered next day was £16 which obviously the buyer paid

AmIGoingMad Wed 26-Feb-14 19:54:30

I'm not on Facebook so that's not really an option.

Who did you use to deliver the maclaren?

So I put cash on collection on the listing and then contact the person with highest bid to arrange a time for them to pick it up with the cash? Do I need any paperwork such as receipt we both sign as proof? Do I then mark it as paid when I've had the cash?

Is there some link with argos now for collections?

lljkk Wed 26-Feb-14 20:00:06

receipt would be useless to Ebay, don't bother. Encourage buyer to look it over carefully before they pay (cash only if at all possible).
Wait until the auction finishes BEFORE selling it to highest bidder.
I never mark collect items as paid, no need to.

Why the question about Argos? confused

yummystepford Wed 26-Feb-14 20:46:30

I used parcel force I think. I personally don't like eBay for collection only, just because a lot of people searching won't be close enough to collect and you do tend to get less money but lots of people sell this way so maybe it does work. Net mums have a local selling page, ask a friend to put it on Facebook for you or open an account just for selling which can be deleted you don't have to use your actual name, just name sales etc. I don't know if people still use gumtree or local papers but may be worth trying. Don't worry about receipts and stuff just take cash if you do it on eBay. You need to weigh the items to find out how much oracle force will charge you.

AmIGoingMad Wed 26-Feb-14 22:28:47

Thanks yummy!

Lljkk- the question about argos was because I didn't know the answer to it confused
I was simply wondering if I could take it to my local argos and the person would pick it up there!

lljkk Thu 27-Feb-14 08:00:28

er, no, Argos won't act as a depot for your goods. They only do that for the stuff they sell.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now