Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Is this NAD?

(13 Posts)
Blowitout Wed 26-Feb-14 13:39:27

Hello, I recently purchased a dressing up costume off eBay. It was described as "very good condition with general wear and tear". No individual faults were mentioned.

I received it today and the first thing I noticed is the unpleasant smell. Not smoke but similar. There are old stains on the top and trousers. Deep stains that are unlikely to come out in the wash. The stitching is coming undone at the hem and there are several pulls on the skirt too.

I would like to send back for a refund. (Seller states "no refunds"). Do I have any right to insist? Is this a case of NAD? If I send back who is responsible for postage costs? I don't mind paying to return but if I pay both ways it will leave me out of pocket so not worth it.

Any suggestions please.

LilyBlossom14 Wed 26-Feb-14 16:56:33

yes - you can open a case - you have to return at your own expense sadly, but they have to return all of your money including the original p&p.

nauticant Wed 26-Feb-14 17:18:47

If you do return (personally I would) send by signed-for delivery. If it's small enough you might get Royal Mail second class for £3.70.

LilyBlossom14 Wed 26-Feb-14 17:19:47

but recorded doesn't always get a signature so you need to write on the parcel 'please obtain signature'.

nickstmoritz Wed 26-Feb-14 21:32:07

I would suggest that "very good" condition would maybe have a bit of wear eg a couple of snags or a bit of bobbling but not stains so I think you are in the right to query it. A seller should fully disclose any wear or stains to leave a buyer in no doubt about the purchase. Your item should have been described as "fair" "well used"or "playwear" and the stains shown. The smell could be wood smoke from a woodburner & seller might not realise this can permeate into clothing. Return for a refund or if it was a small amount and will cost you to post back then maybe the seller would be happy to knock off some money and see if you can wash the outfit (don't wash til this is all sorted as that would mean you couldn't return). Some sellers do not like to do partials but some might be fine and prefer this to a full refund. Try contacting seller before opening a case and tell them that you are disappointedwith the item. A decent seller will try and sort it out. And tbh a good seller refunds return postage if item is NAD or has a fault they have missed. I think you have a seller who is not realistic about the condition - it is annoying when people describe everything as "very good" when it isn't.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Thu 27-Feb-14 16:12:31

Have you e-mailed the Seller first to see what they say? They might be willing to accept the return without needing to open a case at all.

That said, I am currently dealing with someone who sent me a jacket described as "excellent condition" in a state that most people wouldn't even have the cheek to list as "used but a bit of wear left in" angry. The worst thing is she is saying I am telling lies & trying to taint her reputation hmm. Not all Sellers are twats though, some will actually try their best to help.

Blowitout Thu 27-Feb-14 17:55:31

Thanks for your replies. I contacted the seller and actually they were very reasonable, admitted fault, and offered me full refund on return. Shame that I will be out of pocket £3.70 but that is the risk you take with eBay.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Thu 27-Feb-14 18:37:58

Yes, it is but at least you will get your money back. My head case Seller is now accusing me of deliberately ruining the jacket myself & being very rude to boot hmm.

Unfortunately, I have to wait until 7th March for eBay to review the case and make a decision. The thing that annoys me most is that I am a Business Seller myself & have 100% feedback & excellent rating stars - why the hell would I go to such great lengths to con someone out of £7? I'm not that hard up! shock.

Anyway, please excuse my rant - I am glad your Seller is being more sensible grin.

Blowitout Thu 27-Feb-14 18:58:00

I'm sorry to hear about your trouble and I hope that eBay finds in your favour.

I would be too embarrassed to list something in less than good condition, let alone quibble about it. People are strange.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Thu 27-Feb-14 19:05:15

Thank you. I should think they will find in my favour as I have photos to show the dirt & damage.

It's the arguing that gets to me sad. Never mind!

nickstmoritz Thu 27-Feb-14 21:06:57

Santas, Don't forget to put that seller on your own Blocked list in case they decide to buy from you to trash your feedback. It might seem a little OTT but you just never know with some of the oddballs on ebay & you don't need any further hassle from them.

SantasLittleMonkeyButler Thu 27-Feb-14 22:16:34

Yes, I definitely will nick - thank you for reminding me!

roadwalker Thu 27-Feb-14 23:02:57

I am fed up of the crap people put on ebay, it is really putting me off

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now