Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

still awaiting payment but wants to collect

(15 Posts)
doineedhelp Wed 26-Feb-14 11:35:59

Hello all

Looking for some advice please, sold an item on monday but i am still awaiting payment via paypal. I contacted the buyer to ask when they wanted to collect (collection only) and they mentioned today, and then sent another to say 'oh and is cash on collection okay?. This is the first time i've sold and all i've read advises against this, so i replied i would prefer paypal.

Heard nothing else so contacted again today to say do they still want item and if so they need to pay. Got message back to say partner picking it up this afternoon even though we hadn't confirmed collection and that he would sort out the transfer of the money. I've said no collection until payment received -am i being over cautious? my alarm bells are going off!

What would you do?
Thanks

Impatientismymiddlename Wed 26-Feb-14 11:37:37

If you are doing collection only then you should never accept payment by paypal. Cash on collection only.
It's to do with seller protection and not being able to prove that the item was collected if you receive payment by PayPal.

DebbieOfMaddox Wed 26-Feb-14 11:39:52

You can often be better off with cash on collection as if they pay by Paypal they can then claim that the item was not received and you have no proof of postage to show -- and, of course, you don't have to pay Paypal fees (I always ask when I'm buying which they'd prefer and it's been about 50/50). But if you want Paypal in advance then you want Paypal in advance, and you've been very clear about that. So certainly don't hand the item over unless you know you've had the money from Paypal.

Bragadocia Wed 26-Feb-14 11:40:59

You don't want to use Paypal for collection items. So many stories like this out there: Guardian article here.

doineedhelp Wed 26-Feb-14 11:41:14

I don't get that? I sold three things on monday all collection only and two have paid via paypal? I didnt even get an option for cash on collection

IDontDoIroning Wed 26-Feb-14 11:44:08

DONT EVER ask for paypal on a collection only item.
There are scammers out there who will pay via paypal. You will have no proof of delivery as PayPal requires.
It goes as follows-

The buyer collects they then put in an item not received claim into paypal.
PayPal ask you for proof of delivery ie from royal mail or courier which you don't have as they collected it.
PayPal find in buyers favour and refund the buyer.
Your have no item and no money either.

IDontDoIroning Wed 26-Feb-14 11:46:19

You have to have paypal as an option on the auctions but you just insist with the buyer that it's cash on collection or nothing.
If they want the item they pay on collection - job done.
If not you cancel the sale what's worse a strike of ebay or being scammed.?

DebbieOfMaddox Wed 26-Feb-14 11:47:34

I've often wondered (on the paypal/collection thing) whether you can post them a receipt via recorded delivery immediately after collection and provide that tracking information to Paypal in the event of a dispute. But never had the nerve to try.

OP, You won't get an option for cash on collection because eBay own Paypal and want you to take payment that way so that they get two sets of fees. But a buyer can still give you cash on collection and mark the status as "payment sent".

K8Middleton Wed 26-Feb-14 11:47:38

Oh good grief what have you been reading? Collection item you only accept cash on collection.

Items where you post/courier to buyer accept Paypal only.

It's as simple as that.

IDontDoIroning Wed 26-Feb-14 11:55:58

What sort of items are you selling OP?

Be very careful if it's expensive stuff like phones ipad laptops etc as these are the types of items that scammers target. It's like free laptop ... Yes please.

is it money that you can't afford to lose?

If buyers have paid you but not already collected you could reverse transaction and message buyers to ask for cash on collection. if they are genuine then they shouldn't have a problem.

If you are selling big ticket items either put in your auction description cash on collection OR PayPal and courier/Royal Mail tracked recorded delivery.

DebbieOfMaddox Wed 26-Feb-14 11:56:04

The good news is that as this buyer wanted to pay cash they were probably not intending to Paypal scam you.

doineedhelp Wed 26-Feb-14 12:17:25

oh dear, i've been a bit dim haven't I?

I'm selling car seats, one has already collected and one due to collect on the weekend.

Could i just get them to sign a receipt, take a pic of them collecting it?

nauticant Wed 26-Feb-14 13:36:02

You could but ebay or Paypal wouldn't be much interested in it in the event of a dispute.

DebbieOfMaddox Wed 26-Feb-14 13:56:27

If they do decide to Paypal scam you then you'd still have no comeback. The only proof that Paypal accept is parcel tracking (read Bragadocia's Guardian article above). It would be evidence for a criminal case against the scammer, but you'd have to get the police to take an interest first.

Chances are you'll be okay, but you are still running a risk.

LilyBlossom14 Wed 26-Feb-14 16:17:49

online proof of delivery is the only proof - a receipt means nothing. Cash only, and never any exceptions.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now