Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Seller has emailed to say payment went to wrong PayPal address

(8 Posts)
HaveYouHeardOfGoogle Sun 23-Feb-14 18:48:46

Just want to check this sounds legit as I'm always automatically suspicious that someone is trying to scan me.

Bought an item yesterday and have just received an email through eBay from the seller saying the PayPal address I sent the money to (the one linked via eBay on the listing) is their old email address and eBay should have, but haven't, updated this.

They're asking me to cancel the payment and resend money to this new email address they have supplied.

I'm thinking it's all above board as a) they have sent the message through eBay so therefore more secure and b) I'm assuming I'd be protected by PayPal

Does this sound ok to you or is there a glaring problem I'm missing?

Thanks!

poopooheadwillyfatface Sun 23-Feb-14 18:50:53

I would expect them to refund you. Then update their paypal details on ebay and send you a new invoice.

The current arrangement leaves you paying outside ebay - probably so they can cancel the transaction and save themselves fees.

HaveYouHeardOfGoogle Sun 23-Feb-14 18:52:51

Ooh, that's true, never thought of that. Ill email now and ask them to cancel and resend invoice as you say. Thanks, knew I double check.

sillymillyb Sun 23-Feb-14 18:55:08

Oh! I had this last week, relatively new ebayer (35 positive feedbacks) said they had wrong email address listed and could I resend payment to another one.

I kicked up a stink and they magically sorted it within minutes.

I'm a suspicious ole cow but I'd be very careful and get them to resend invoice / refund etc as mentioned by pp.

HaveYouHeardOfGoogle Sun 23-Feb-14 18:59:58

I'm as suspicious as you then! smile My first thought is always 'Scam!'

I've messaged them asking for them to cancel old transaction and resend invoice. What can I do if they say they can't access old email account though? Hmm...confused

LilyBlossom14 Sun 23-Feb-14 19:03:39

well - they can add the old email addr to paypal to accept. But if there is no access to that email they can't do that nor can they cancel it so kicking up a stink won't always sort it out.

Is the payment pending? If so, you log into paypal and claim it back yourself.

LilyBlossom14 Sun 23-Feb-14 19:05:00

and if they resend the invoice via ebay it will again send you to the wrong email so that is pointless too - you can click on send money in paypal and pay to the right address, but do not send as a gift payment as then no protection as a buyer.

HaveYouHeardOfGoogle Sun 23-Feb-14 19:13:14

Ok thanks, so I'll send through non gift option if need be with PayPal.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now