This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here
Let me get this straight... (returns)(11 Posts)
I sold an original xbox game that we'd tested thoroughly.
Buyer says it's damaged and won't play. The 'not playing' part could be true- original xbox machines are old, most have been chipped & repaired at least once. Just b/c it plays on mine doesn't mean it'll def. play on everyone else's.
Msg'd back to say sorry to hear that, please send it back for a refund. Heard nothing since (only a few days).
So- if I get it back, I'll refund her original Paypal payment (but not her return postage).
But do I also need to send a cancellation request to get fvf back? Can I get fvf back for a 'faulty' item?
I wonder why she'd bother going along with a cancellation request, since in her eyes I sent her a 'damaged' item, what does she owe me iyswim. No case has been opened.
If you sold a faulty item you should refund the return postage. I certainly wouldn't agree to a cancellation request if you didn't.
yes you refund in full and send a cancellation request
and if she is out of pocket on return postage you should give her that too.
I would send the cancellation request telling them it was the way to formally end the transaction. They might accept it that way.
I am on the fence about the postage costs. Maybe they are equally to blame for not realising that old Xboxes can be so temperamental.
Ah ok, so if it's genuinely faulty, seller should refund return postage too.
The thing is, it played through without a hitch on my machine. I've no reason to see it as faulty. Am thinking I'm not responsible for the condition of other people's old machines... if it plays on 1 machine but not another, the difference would seem to be in the machine, not the disc.
I've sold many of these with no probs. I get that if it won't play for this buyer, it's no good to them & I'll refund. But for the moment, IF I get it back, I'll stick with refunding original payment. Neither of us specified how much I'd refund. Ebay policy seems to back me here, but I'll find out if it ends up going through them I guess.
Fvf fees won't be much... am thinking I'd rather just get it back, refund orig payment and swallow fvf, rather than asking the buyer for a favour & probably irritating her in the process.
If I don't get it back, I'm not req'd to refund at all yes? That's how I'm reading it.
Thanks for the advice/thoughts, I appreciate it.
unless they keep your game and return their own faulty one.
Hmm, that's true LilyBlossom14... I didn't think of that. If I get it back and it suddenly won't play on my machine....hmm.
This buyer's ebay history is 100% great, although it's ALL as a buyer, no selling. I realise that since sellers can't leave neg feedback for buyers, this makes her '100% great' feedback somewhat meaningless.
But I tend to think she's genuine, in that she's bought a game for her son (amazing what you can find out on the interwebs) and it won't play on his old, un-repaired, un-cleaned machine.
So, to me it's not faulty b/c it played perfectly at my end. However, there's an inherent problem in buying/selling 15 y/o games for use on 15 y/o machines. That problem exists for both buyer and seller; as such I think refunding original buying price but not return post is reasonable.
It's also reasonable for me to swallow the fvf- then we've both paid a very small price for a dud transaction.
Is that fair dyt?
no - I don't understand why you refuse to claim back the fvf - if the transaction is cancelled that is what you do.
LilyBlossom14- because I think (although I'm still ambivalent) that's going too hard on the buyer.
I'd have to actually open a case against them in the 'Resolution Centre' to send a cancellation request.
Whereas I maintain the item wasn't faulty- fact is it won't play for her, so if anyone should be opening a case; in her eyes, shouldn't it be her against me? Hypothetically at least?
The last contact with the buyer was 5 days ago, when I requested she send it back for a refund. They haven't replied, but AFAIK- they might've mailed it & it's still in transit. If that's the case, I should probably give them a few more days for it to arrive.
Given she hasn't replied at all, I'm not seeing how opening a case to claw back my fvf will nudge her towards contacting me or being predisposed to be kind to me.
For this item, fvf will be about half a pound (or almost 1 AUD- side note- ebay Australia aren't yet charging commission on postage; only item price). So I won't lose much on fvf.
Again, thanks for your input... I've followed the more prolific posters on this forum b/c some of you are genuine experts. I truly appreciate your help.
A cancellation request is not opened 'against' anyone, it is just you asking them to agree to cancel after they have been refunded so you get your fees back. Even if the buyer ignores it the case times out in a week and you get your fees back. It doesn't count against either of you.
LilyBlossom14, if you're still there-
I think I see what you mean, ie, a cancellation request is the buyer agreeing to cancel the transaction AFTER they've been refunded. Thanks for getting the sequence straight for me, makes sense now
Buyer still hasn't replied & I've not rec'd it back. So this is all still on hold.
AFAIK, they have 45 days to return to the seller, is that right? Just wondering how long I need to keep this amount sitting in my Paypal account ready to refund quickly if/when it turns up.
Taa again for advice.
Join the discussion
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.