Talk

Advanced search

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

How long do I reasonably have to wait in for buyer who doesn't turn up??

(9 Posts)
sillylily Wed 12-Feb-14 15:37:02

I have sold an item for collection only. Buyer has been slow to respond and hasn't paid yet but as it sold for a few pence I suggested cash on collection to speed things along. I offered her to collect any evening this week or Saturday but she couldn't do. I asked if day times easier would she like to do today or Friday. She was initially unable to do today then said if she was free could she come today after all? I agreed and she later decided she would come. I have sat in for 3 hours while she was 'on her way' and 'a minutes walk away' at the end of which I've had her shouting on the phone that she is in a local subway, hasn't got any more time and would I meet her there with the item. I've run out of time and goodwill today. I said no.
I really don't care about the money here, it's the bad feedback that I don't want or think I deserve. Am I now going to have to be available every evening this week and all Saturday at the risk of going through this again? Any ideas?

LilyBlossom14 Wed 12-Feb-14 18:10:17

file a non paying bidder dispute then, close in 4 days then she won't be able to leave feedback

and always take cash only for collection, never paypal.

sillylily Wed 12-Feb-14 18:56:02

Thanks lilyblossom. Grrrr she's just paid via paypal.

Chivetalking Wed 12-Feb-14 19:16:19

Refund the payment or all sorts of shady friggery is open to her and if she does turn up you could end up without your item or payment.

Unfortunately there's a non refundable element to the paypal fees so you're going to end up out of pocket by about 20p or so which is even more infuriating.

I wouldn't worry too much even if she does neg you. You're entitled to reply and any reasonable future buyer will see she's an arse.

Oh, and put her on your blocked bidders list quick smart.

sillylily Wed 12-Feb-14 20:01:41

Thanks Chive. I have sold quite a few items over the years and until now have had a good experience and had the pleasure to see my stuff going to some really reasonable people. It's a shame to have to find all this out!

QwertyBird Sat 15-Feb-14 10:51:12

It is usually best to state that any bidder choosing to pay via PayPal must pay for traceable delivery and provide a quote / ask them to message you

DandelionGilver Sun 16-Feb-14 15:40:56

Pain in the arse, open a non paying case.

With regards to collections and paypal. If someone wants to pay by paypal and then collect an item from you. Get them to sign and date a receipt for the item. Paypal will accept this.

I had this request for a large value item and this is what paypal recommended when I contacted them.

LilyBlossom14 Sun 16-Feb-14 15:50:01

sorry Dandelion but you are completely and utterly wrong - paypal will NOT accept a signed and dated receipt - and paypal have obviously told you the wrong information

online trackable delivery is the ONLY proof they will accept! Anyone could write out a signed and dated receipt. eBay own paypal so they will tell you that it is safe, but their biggest flaw is insisting on paypal for all transactions.

DandelionGilver Sun 16-Feb-14 19:47:30

Thanks Lily, I was obviously given duff info. Will remember that in the future.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now